Hosted by Darren Baker
Foamcore
azizmaz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2003 - 08:34 AM UTC
That foamcore board I keep reading about, is that the stuff I seen in the store that is about 1/4" thick with paper backing on both sides and comes in differant colors?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2003 - 08:49 AM UTC
Yes it is. Should be About 5 USD a sheet or so??
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2003 - 10:01 AM UTC
Sounds like the stuff.... but is available in thicker versions as well. i have some 1/2 and some 3/4" thicknesses as well. Great stuff, but read the article i wrote about how to "seal" the paper opn both sides, or it will bow and buckle over the course fo time!
modelnut4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2003 - 11:01 AM UTC
Gee all these occifers, I feel so small. Being small I'm also cheap, I get free foam by the ton in all sorts of thickness at construction sites, dumpsters where there is a business that does lots of shipping, UPS, US post office,. The free foam is good to use just like the construction industry does, a roll of nylon mesh 1/4 inch mesh for doing corners in plaster and stucco work, stapled on and then trowl, smear, use your fingers, however, layer on the plaster of paris, also available at the same home depot, homebase. You can screed off a smooth layer once you get the nylon mesh encapsulated, use a straight edged stick, before the plaster starts to set up. once it does start to set up, you can scribe in bricks or blocks or get really artsy and freehand in stonework..
Now for the really tricky part, before you paint your nifty wall piece, take my all time favorite chemical, PVA, Elmer's white glue to the uninitiated and brush a coating into the grout lines that you so carefully scribed in the finish. Try not to get it all over, just down in the lines. Once it's dry, a couple of hours, make up a wash of what ever color you have chosen for your wall and apply liberally. the PVA acts as a resist layer and keeps your grout lines nice and white. Once you get the color on your going to wash everthing in layers to get the well worn grubby look anyway, the darker washes will fill in the grout so they look dirty too as you build them up, but they hold up for that first shot of color separation. Hope you can use it.

By the Way KFM, really liked the articles and pix, top notch.

Oink, squeal Oink

Jay
Pig #53, DSB
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now for the really tricky part, before you paint your nifty wall piece, take my all time favorite chemical, PVA, Elmer's white glue to the uninitiated and brush a coating into the grout lines that you so carefully scribed in the finish. Try not to get it all over, just down in the lines. Once it's dry, a couple of hours, make up a wash of what ever color you have chosen for your wall and apply liberally. the PVA acts as a resist layer and keeps your grout lines nice and white. Once you get the color on your going to wash everthing in layers to get the well worn grubby look anyway, the darker washes will fill in the grout so they look dirty too as you build them up, but they hold up for that first shot of color separation.
Oink, squeal Oink
|Jay
Pig #53, DSB

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!

What a nippley cute trick there with the elmers for the groutlines :-) My lad you are a genius, I'd nominate you for a nobel prize or something for that one ! I gotta remember that.

The nylon mesh is for the cornors right? Will plaster of paris hold/adhere to styrofoam? I've never tried it. #:-)

Cheers
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 02:38 PM UTC
You can also get it at a home improvement store. It comes in one inch thick slabs around 4 feet by 8 feet. cut it into 1/4 inch strips with a band saw and sand it smooth and your ready to go. you get alot more foam for your money and it is fast to cut and sand it smooth. Sounds like you found the right kind of foam though.
 _GOTOTOP