_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Centurion CVRE WIP
Jeffamentrul
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:44 PM UTC
Hi all,

Well im having a crack at my first conversion. I have a Tamiya Centurion Mk.3 and a shovel off of a Trumpeter KFOR Challenger 2 with a Verlinden Challenger 1 Desert Storm up armour set. I have been using some reference pics from Gulf War 1 of the Cent AVRE's. I know that the Chally 1 up armour set is only kind of what it should look like and the shovel is totally different from what it should be, but for me it's not a history lesson, and li it is kind of close and as I say I have never attempted a conversion be it with an update set or scratch built so this is in at the deep end for me !!.

I have had to superglue the shovel on to the mantlet as for obvious reasons there are no mounting points (I guess I should have made some - but im no way near good enough to that yet !!) and I have to remove the front fenders as the ref pic I am using show the AVRE with an "open" front end to the tracks.

Im really enjoying doing this conversion even though it's in-correct. I guess it can only lead to better things !!

Cheers for looking

Kev
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hi Kevin,

Yip they were still chugging along in the first Gulf War :-) :-)

I saw the restoration of this vehicle on the TV, it has an interesting history.

Good luck with your conversion and if it's not historically correct the main thing is that you enjoy it and try out a few different skills.

Keep us posted. Your front plate looks a bit crook as the Aussies say, but it might be the angle of the shot.

Cheers

Al
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 03:06 AM UTC
As long as you know it's not historically perfect and are OK with it, then using it to stretch your skills and build your confidence is a great plan. Those of us who scratchbuild conversions or entire kits all started somewhere, and it usually wasn't accurate, either. What it was was "not available yet in stores" and we decided to "have a go". You'll end up with new skills and a model no-one else has, and that's darned cool, in and of itself.

Good on ya!

Paul
 _GOTOTOP