_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Use of the M102 105mm cannon in training
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 07:15 AM UTC
I have this project in line and was planning to use it as a field training gun. How would such a scenario look like? Thanks.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 07:29 AM UTC
We train as we fight, so it would look the same as if it were in a combat situation. The gun would be in firing position and the crew feeding rounds into it. The gunner would be on the left side checking for proper azimuth, the assistant gunner would be on the right side checking to varify the proper elevation. The #1 man would be behind the breach loading ammo. The section chief woud be to the rear of the piece varifying everything is going as it should. There would be three or four other guys to the rear of the piece as ammo handlers to prepare and pass the ammo to the gun crew.

Here are a couple examples:

Hope that helps.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 07:49 PM UTC
Thank you, it helps tremendously. But I thought of one more question: when was the M102 actually used? Also, who checks on whether all the crew memebers are doing things right, and what happens if there is a problem with the gun and the crew cannot figure it out?
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 08:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...... But I thought of one more question: when was the M102 actually used? Also, who checks on whether all the crew memebers are doing things right, and what happens if there is a problem with the gun and the crew cannot figure it out?

The M102 was introduced in either the very late 60's or early 70s to replace the M101, which was pretty much a WW II vintage piece. One of the big considerations in the design of the M102 was its ease in covering fire missions in all directions (6400 mils in FAspeak) which was a big consideration in Vietnam compared to a traditional "front" which was typical in WW II.

The person responsibile to ensure all the crew members are doing things right is the Chief of Section, usually a Staff Sgt (E-6) and the equivalent of a "squad leader" in the Infantry.

As far as "problems" with the gun, if you're talking about a "misfire" there's an entire procedure, with variations on cold tube and hot tube, which the crew is supposed to follow.

If you're talking to "mechanical" type problems there's an entire series of maintence support, from crew level all the way to Depot to diagnose and repair issues. The Tech Manuals (TM's) are very good in providing who does what at each level, with parts lists and illustrations.

Tom
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you, it helps tremendously. But I thought of one more question: when was the M102 actually used? ...

I know of at least one Army National Guard field artillery unit in Nashua, New Hampshire that still used the M102 in 2004.

I had two in my motor pool that were awaiting turn in and the National Guardsmen would ask if they could take some of the serviceable parts off of my guns and replace them with broken pieces from their guns. In return, they did technical inspections of my guns and listed all the deficiencies and parts that needed replacing.
Zacman
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 12:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...... But I thought of one more question: when was the M102 actually used? Also, who checks on whether all the crew memebers are doing things right, and what happens if there is a problem with the gun and the crew cannot figure it out?

The M102 was introduced in either the very late 60's or early 70s to replace the M101, which was pretty much a WW II vintage piece. One of the big considerations in the design of the M102 was its ease in covering fire missions in all directions (6400 mils in FAspeak) which was a big consideration in Vietnam compared to a traditional "front" which was typical in WW II.

The person responsibile to ensure all the crew members are doing things right is the Chief of Section, usually a Staff Sgt (E-6) and the equivalent of a "squad leader" in the Infantry.

As far as "problems" with the gun, if you're talking about a "misfire" there's an entire procedure, with variations on cold tube and hot tube, which the crew is supposed to follow.

If you're talking to "mechanical" type problems there's an entire series of maintence support, from crew level all the way to Depot to diagnose and repair issues. The Tech Manuals (TM's) are very good in providing who does what at each level, with parts lists and illustrations.

Tom

I think it come in the U.S. Army in 1964, i could be wrong!
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 02:04 AM UTC
Actually, I believe you're correct, although I think it took a while before a lot of units replaced their old "split trails".

Tom
Zacman
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 03:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually, I believe you're correct, although I think it took a while before a lot of units replaced their old "split trails".

Tom

And even longer for the Marnie Corp. My son's Grandfather was in the Marnies(Artillery) from 64-68, and they used the m101 to great effect, during his time in Vietnam.
 _GOTOTOP