_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-90S kit or conversion
Tanker25
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 02:00 PM UTC
Hi all,

is there a 1/35 T-90S kit or a conversion kit? what company does one? also, what would be a nice flatform T72 DML or Tamiya?

Thanks in advance
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 648 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 04:13 PM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/70060&page=1

That thread should help you get started.

Forgot to mention there is also a decent Concord book on the T90/T72 and one on the T80. I am traveling this week so I don't have access to mine to give you the numbers or exact title but a google should turn them up or search on some of the on-line hobby shops under Concord.

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 07:27 PM UTC
Well, here is what is out:

1. Kirin T-90 conversion. Really a conversion for a T-72BM, the immediate precursor to the T-90. Very basic conversion meant for the DML T-72M2 kit, which is not correct in itself. Converting the Tamiya kit with this conversion would add more difficulty. Long OOP as well, show up on eBay from time to time.

2. Terre Models T-90 Conversion. Basically a copy of the Kirin conversion with some improvements. However, it still does not really build into a T-90 and requires about the same level of adding detail as the Kirin kit. I think this is OOP, not sure.

3. AEF Designs T-90 conversion. Again, it seems to be a improvement of the Kirin basic conversion. Might fit the Tamiya T-72 kit better, but no promises. Also needs detail work to make a true T-90 out of it. And, as ever, dealing with AEF Designs is spotty; Caveat Emptor.

Next, what is close:

Miniarm have come out with a really nice conversion for the Tamiya T-72 to a T-72BM, the precursor to the T-90. This conversion is probably the best thing out right now to get you close to the T-90. This is something you may want to consider and its only down side is the $$$...about $90 for the hull conversion and turret.

The Future:

Well, nothing you can really count on, but here is what has been announced:

1. Zvezda T-90 kit. No proof it will be produced and if it is, most likely it will be a conversion of the DML T-72M2 kit. Usefullness will depend on what they do to the basic kit to make the conversion.

2. Miniarm has announced a conversion, probably based on the T-72BM conversion. Will probably be very accurate, but also cost a lot of $$$.

You can also use this as a excuse to practice scratchbuilding...
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 08:28 PM UTC
I confess, I built the DML T-72 (w/o ERA) 15 years or so ago. It was among the first DML kits I built and the first modern Soviet kit (USSR was still around) I built since the old Tamiya T-62.

Back then, I wasn't worried about accuracy or sub-variants. Aftermarket for the T-72 kit was virtually unheard of and any real references of the vehicle were fuzzy little photos in Armor Magazine or Jane's Defense Weekly.

I liked the kit. I thought it went together well. It was a much superior kit than the Tamiya T-62. Most importantly though, it looked like the tank we were taught to fear on the plains of Germany.
Tanker25
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 04:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, here is what is out:

1. Kirin T-90 conversion. Really a conversion for a T-72BM, the immediate precursor to the T-90. Very basic conversion meant for the DML T-72M2 kit, which is not correct in itself. Converting the Tamiya kit with this conversion would add more difficulty. Long OOP as well, show up on eBay from time to time.

2. Terre Models T-90 Conversion. Basically a copy of the Kirin conversion with some improvements. However, it still does not really build into a T-90 and requires about the same level of adding detail as the Kirin kit. I think this is OOP, not sure.

3. AEF Designs T-90 conversion. Again, it seems to be a improvement of the Kirin basic conversion. Might fit the Tamiya T-72 kit better, but no promises. Also needs detail work to make a true T-90 out of it. And, as ever, dealing with AEF Designs is spotty; Caveat Emptor.

Next, what is close:

Miniarm have come out with a really nice conversion for the Tamiya T-72 to a T-72BM, the precursor to the T-90. This conversion is probably the best thing out right now to get you close to the T-90. This is something you may want to consider and its only down side is the $$$...about $90 for the hull conversion and turret.

The Future:

Well, nothing you can really count on, but here is what has been announced:

1. Zvezda T-90 kit. No proof it will be produced and if it is, most likely it will be a conversion of the DML T-72M2 kit. Usefullness will depend on what they do to the basic kit to make the conversion.

2. Miniarm has announced a conversion, probably based on the T-72BM conversion. Will probably be very accurate, but also cost a lot of $$$.

You can also use this as a excuse to practice scratchbuilding...

Yep! the Miniarm conversion have great details. Especially the turret. But sadly if you have the turret and the front hull glacis together with the road wheels and tracks it can cost up to 150$

anyway, i'll save enough for this and buy and someday.. thanks for the infos
armormike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 08:58 PM UTC
Would have to second what has already been said. The Terre Models kits is impossible to make anything even resembling a T-90. Also the AEF set is somewhat incomplete.
Until the Miniarm set is out the only way would be to combine the Terre and AEF sets to make a T-90 that only looks good at arms length.
 _GOTOTOP