_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Small M1114 update thanks to JEFF!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 06:18 PM UTC
Since I've been coming here to Armorama since it came around, I've made some good friends. The thing is, I have never met them face to face yet!!!!!! And here is one prime exampleof one of those friends I have never met face to face yet, Jeff!!!!!!!!
I was telling him that I was gonna attempt to scratch build some "smoke poppers" for my M1114, and he was nice enough to offer me a pair from an extra Blast kit he had. Well, I thought I was gonna just get two, but he sent me a complete set of four and they where not recast or anyhting like that. They where the originals. SO A BIG THANKS GOES OUT TO YOU JEFF!!!!!!!!!!!

So, here is the latest addition to my M1114:

Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 06:35 PM UTC
Pete

Thats a nice looking build so far.

Note to self - time to post some more pictures

Andy
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC
Everyone's like, who's this Jeff? Thats me as is the photo below about 6 months and about 30 pounds ago getting ready for a field exercise. Anyway, glad to help a fellow modeller (a first on my part too) and a Soldier as well.

BTW how'd they go together. The only reason I didn't build them myself was because I wasn't sure how'd they fit. Plus I noticed one of your launchers seems scratched.

Jeff
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 05:31 AM UTC
Has any one told you that you look like RADAR ORIELY from MASH? :-)

Seriously, thanks again Jeff for the poppers.

It took me about 5 minutes to put them together. Yup, one of the tubes is some plastic rod. One of them was missing of the pour block and I searched every where for it, so I had to make one realy quick.

Looking good in your BDU's, you'll pass my in ranks inspection. Wait till you put on a pair of ACU's and wear them for a while, you won't go back.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Has any one told you that you look like RADAR ORIELY from MASH? :-)

Seriously, thanks again Jeff for the poppers.

It took me about 5 minutes to put them together. Yup, one of the tubes is some plastic rod. One of them was missing of the pour block and I searched every where for it, so I had to make one realy quick.

Looking good in your BDU's, you'll pass my in ranks inspection. Wait till you put on a pair of ACU's and wear them for a while, you won't go back.

Except for the lack of a nametape and rank he'd pass an inspection lol. Are you Guard Jeff?
And as comfy as the ACU's are, I looove my DCU's. Wish they'd at least keep those.

Now getting back to the topic at hand, hows you interior coming along Pete? I know your eating that new M1 up but if you have any questions regarding that 1114, ask away. My memory is still pretty fresh about 'em.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 02:28 AM UTC
Well to tell you the truth, with all the manuals I have at my disposal, I can't seem to find the mount that sits right next to the radio that mounts the PLGR. Any help there?

I believe Jeff just joined the ROTC.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well to tell you the truth, with all the manuals I have at my disposal, I can't seem to find the mount that sits right next to the radio that mounts the PLGR. Any help there?

I believe Jeff just joined the ROTC.

Hmm, the PLGR huh? Well honestly Pete, I dont know where it is because we didnt use them. We had 5 trucks in our plt and 2 of them had BFT. However, I will delve into my archives and see if I can spot it and Ill get back with you on that.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 02:44 AM UTC
Thanks Zach. Oh, and I still need to remove the side exhaust stack. I think I need to re-position the front two "smoke poppers." I mean the peice that extends them out. Don't they need to be forward or is that ok the way they are.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 08:49 AM UTC
For moving them up or not, I think leaving them where they are is fine. Most of my images show yours to be in the right spot. Here is about the best that I have:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/448003786/1448279467078113236ttJPiU

I haven't contracted yet, I plan to in October provided I can get my butt to pass a PT test (Friday 0600 oh yeah... ) and pass a DODMERB and a bunch of other medical related paperwork.

As for the ACUs, they aren't providing us with them yet. Cadet Command is trying to get them to the seniors (MS IVs) before they commission and then they are going to work their way down to the MSIIIs (me) and the others. Because I'm not contracted, I don't get a uniform unless its for an FTX or something like that.

For the Guard, I'm not sure what I want to do. My NG NCO was saying something about me being SMP (Guard and ROTC at the same time) as well as being on an ROTC scholarship, two things that usually don't go together. I wouldn't get GI Bill (though I really don't care, especially if I'm already on scholarship) and I don't go to Basic and AIT, since I go to LDAC this summer. At the bare minimun I'm going for straight shot ROTC. Everything else is extra, good extra, but extra nonetheless

Jeff
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 03:11 PM UTC
Gosh Pete. Yet another hummer to your collection? I smell some addiction going on here eh.

The smoke poppers do certainly give the build that much more character. Good on ya Jeff for sharing the love and donating them.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 06:03 PM UTC
Thanks Jeff for the picture, But I'm affraid I was right. The poppers are in the right spot and facing the right direction, but the board that they are mounted on that extends them out are in the wrong direction. They should be facing towards the front and not to the sides. This weekend I am gonna try and remove them and put them on the right way.

Yes Jeremy, it is a sickness!!!!! You know, I still haven't finished my Bradley and here I am starting new projects, the M1114, Dragons M1A1 AIM, and Trumpeters LAV-25. Not to mention some figures for a couple of SBS's.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You know, I still haven't finished my Bradley and here I am starting new projects, the M1114, Dragons M1A1 AIM, and Trumpeters LAV-25. Not to mention some figures for a couple of SBS's.

Yeah i was wondering if you still wanted the Modern Armor ribbon.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 08:15 AM UTC
Pete, I looked at all the pics of the TC/radio mount area and could not find anything resembling a PLGR mount nor the actual PLGR itself. However thats not to say that its not there, its that I believe vehicles with the BFT system installed wouldnt have it. In anycase I was gonna try and scratch a BFT for my truck.
 _GOTOTOP