_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bronco models A34 Comet
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
KitMaker: 553 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 05:12 AM UTC
Because I haven't been on Armorama for long I don't know whether anyone has posted any previous threads on the Bronco Models A34 Comet that was released a few months ago Bronco releases.

Has anyone seen or built this model? I wouldn't mind building a Comet or two. (I'm also wondering if Bronco might have links with Trumpeter, judging by some of the French/German hybrids listed)

Jeff W.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 05:30 AM UTC
I'm just starting mine and would say that it is a great kit. Check ML and PMMS for reviews and built ups.
It is not without fault however. Mine is the second release with plastic as oppossed to resin extra idlers and a resin covered mantlet (almost identical to AA's one).
The cupola is oversized and sits on top of the spalsh ring. A tamiya Churchill one will fit with a small reduction in circumference. Voyager do some great updates and PE for them but I reckon the base kit is good.
No link to Trumpeter and given the fact that Trumpeter leant on the Aussie distributor who were going to bring it in I'd say more like bad blood.
It is hard to find but worthwhile
Cheers
AL
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm just starting mine and would say that it is a great kit. Check ML and PMMS for reviews and built ups.
It is not without fault however. Mine is the second release with plastic as oppossed to resin extra idlers and a resin covered mantlet (almost identical to AA's one).
The cupola is oversized and sits on top of the spalsh ring. A tamiya Churchill one will fit with a small reduction in circumference. Voyager do some great updates and PE for them but I reckon the base kit is good.
No link to Trumpeter and given the fact that Trumpeter leant on the Aussie distributor who were going to bring it in I'd say more like bad blood.
It is hard to find but worthwhile
Cheers
AL

Thanks Al, I'll ask around locally to see if I can get a hold of one. Coincidentally I've just been shown a review in Military Modelling, May 26 (Vol 36 NO 06).

The Bronco site hasn't been updated since February, so I wonder whether they might be facing some battles on the manufacturing front?

Jeff W.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 06:05 AM UTC
If you check back under the British Armour posts, you'll see my progress photos of the Comet. There should be three posts. My model was the first release with the resin idler and the no dust cover mantlet. My upper hull had a bad warp which required some plastic strip reinforcing to straighten it out. I removed all of the molded on handles and replaced them with brass rod. Added an MV lense and a wire lead for the search light. The turret has an undersized ring, which will limit the placement of the gun, to ... well level. I also removed 5mm from the barrel (mantlet end) to make it fit. Here is where the model stands now,.... still not completed but getting closer. Overall, a great model,... highly recommended from this builder.

SKiernan
Visit this Community
Dordogne, France
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 06:16 AM UTC
Frank

That is one good looking Comet

Steve
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Frank

That is one good looking Comet

Steve

Ditto from me Frank. Now that I've seen the model in the plastic I've just gotta get one - if I can.

Just looking at the design I can't help noticing that bad mantlet design - sure looks like a potential shot-trap.

Jeff W.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:09 PM UTC
We do have a review on Armorama ... check it out here!

Its a very nice kit considering that its the companys second try ..
 _GOTOTOP