_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Question about AEF Design
catman31
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 166 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 06:50 PM UTC
Are these conversion sets any good? How is the quality of the resin and the fit to the donor kit, etc.?

Thanks
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC
AEF Designs kits can be good or bad...and that really is the story of the company.

Some people have had very good experiences with them and their product, others have not.

The conversions and detail sets I have are a good basic start. The detail can be exceptional, and some of the pieces can only be found from them.

My best advice is to try to see what is in the kit before you buy it (usually from a vendor at a show) or else it is Caveat Emptor (Buyer beware) and be prepared for some sort of problem.

Perhaps you will have a good experience and prove my advice wrong.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 07:24 PM UTC
AEF Designs is hit and miss. Ihave purchased alot of his stuff over the last 12 years so I can comment on it.

The worst part of his operation is service. Most (99%) kits seem to have limited instructions, missing parts, bubbles, overpours, or warped parts.
Having said this some sets are good. I bought several of the T55 update sets and all were great - even providing weird things like the Polish fuel cells and replacement engine decks (I am using one now on a T54AM)

AEF is a niche market - the only game in town for the oddball or IDF stuff until recently. (Legends, Terre, Fonderie Min.)

Usually you cannot use all the pcs b/c of fit issues or inaccuracies - I have had to use the parts as a guide to remake in pla or scuplty.

I am sure others will chime in with their experiences....

Chris
catman31
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 166 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 07:45 PM UTC
Thanks guys for the information. I was interested in the "Nag Man" M-113 armor because it looks like something from outer space and it really is an eye catcher. But maybe I will consider the armor kit that is similar to that from Blast. (can't remember the exact update set)

That's what is great about this site - the "inside scoop" before you empty your bank account. :-)

chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 09:09 PM UTC
Felix,
Always glad to save someone from making that mistake. BTW The Blast set is great, also the Legends Production earlier model is a good value as well.

Chris
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:15 PM UTC
Chris-You say Terre and Fonderie offer some oddball IDF stuff-whats indeed?? Ive never seen any of this.
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:22 PM UTC
Fonderie Min has released a Zelda Classical configuration that has the Weapons stations, slat armor and other stuff - there are currently around 75 of these in service with plans for an additional 400. It 's only drawback is that its based on the Italeri M113A1 with resin and p/e to round it out. @ 50.00 USD at Greatmodels.com

Terre Models also makes this conversion - its not that great and hard to come by. I think its @ 70.00 USD.

Tony is an official IDF Modelmaker- so therefore his IDF Stuff SHOULD be good - I do hear good things about the Nammer APC/IFV though it still not as good as the Legend Productions.

HTH
Chris
 _GOTOTOP