_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Q: cleaning roadwheels?
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hmmm, maybe a silly question but here go's

I used to clean my road wheels with a knife and sandpaper, this takes a long time.

I am working on 4 tank (!) simultaneous, so this means a lot of road wheels
I read somewhere of using a motor tool for this (don’t remember where), so I tried it, I have a motor tool going from 0 to 5000 rpm with a slider button. I started with a slow speed setting and gradually increased the speed, but the end result is that I can throw away the road wheel, uneven and burnt

Dos anybody tried this and give me a few pointers on how to doe it? or is there an other fast method for this boring job??

BTW I learned today, thru the hard way to always wear eye protection when using a motor tool, auw!

#:-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 10:42 AM UTC
Ouch!

Unfortunately, I have to resort to the traditional sand, sand, sand with a flexible sanding stick. The only times I've been successful with a motor tool was when I could locate a drill bit slightly larger than the road wheel's socket. I used a battery-powered Dremel, and that worked - for the most part. It seemed I spent more time chasing road wheels that got "launched" then I would have just breaking out the old sanding stick...

Gunnie
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 10:56 AM UTC
Whell I got a pin and screw that locks the roadwheels tight but still .....

the problem is that I don't have a flexible sanding stick and my modelshop dos not sell them anymore
mailman7
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
You can purchase sanding sticks at any CVS or any drug store. They are in the womens section, called nail files......

zululand66
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 233 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hi guys,
I hold the roadwheel and put a sanding drum on the dremel and use low speed. If done in quick passes, you can get the job done. Use a light, fast hand and you will get well-worn rubber. HTH.
Regards,
Georg
8)
"I don't make the same mistake twice... I make new ones"
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 11:31 AM UTC
Hi Roadkill

I've got sanding sticks but i've found a cheaper alternitave that I use even more.. My local wal-mart and craft stores carry sanding pads.. Its a oval white pad with a different grit on each side. It works great use 1 side for sanding and finer side to smooth it off. i"m pretty sure they are made by 3M they are found in the area for wood sandpaper and wood sanding sponges.. but they work great for plastic and they still have some of the flexablity for sanding things like roadwheels.

uilebheist
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC
Hi, I just cleaned 10 pair of roadwheels today for my T34. I stuck them on a hex head bit for my 2 speed drill. Some of the parting lines were so big on these wheels i used an x-acto knife, on the others I used an emery board or file. Then I looped a piece of coarse sandpaper around them and then finished the job with fine sandpaper. Worked great for me. Just don't inhale the plastic particles.
TJ
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 12:01 PM UTC
Get yourself a cordless drill...it will turn as slow as you want. Works great for sanding gun barrels too, just go easy when tightening the chuck. Believe it or not, it also works on household projects unrelated to modelling.
gkicsak
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:53 AM UTC
Fine tip about the cordless drill. I'll try this myself.

Cheers,
Gabe
 _GOTOTOP