_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Skif T80UD
Tanker25
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 01:33 PM UTC
Hi again,

Just want some feedback regarding this kit, IIRC it includes edward PE set. Im sure it's not an accurate T80, but how about the fits? Thanks
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 05:43 PM UTC
Eduard makes a PE set for the Skif T-80, but I do not believe the kit includes any PE.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 07:02 PM UTC
The SKIF kit is the most accurate T-80 out there in kit form, but it has problems.

It's greatest strength is that it dimensionally accurate for the most part. The turret has a few issues, but it is a far better platform to start detailing than the DML T-80U SMT M1989. (I really hate saying that but it is true).

The detail in the kit is soft though, so adding the Eduard PE set is a must if you want a good looking build. And no, there is NO eduard PE set included unless it is in some sort of "special" release. The standard kit does not come with PE.

There are a number of detail kits and conversions out there to produce a excellent T-80 series tank, some offered by SP Designs (Shameless plug). You can find their stuff by clicking on my link at the bottom of my post.

I am currently working on converting a SKIF T-80UD and building up a DML T-80U SMT M1989, both for comparison and also for doing a review on each kit. THe SKIF kit actually builds better than the DML kit, which shows the DML kits age. However, the SKIF kit is no Tamiya product...it still requires some putty and sanding, but it is a good start.
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:31 PM UTC
I have the SKIF T-80UD and the Dragon T-80UD (SMT 1989).

The Skif diesel engine deck looks bogus, where as the Dragon kit's engine deck seems to match the photos in the old Concord book showing some T-80UD's on parade in Moscow.

The snorkel on the Skif kit is missing the rectangular "cap" at the end. While the Dragon kit has the rectangular end cap, but the "elbow spout" on the Dragon kit is not correct in shape. The Dragon snorkel has a straight angle 90 degree elbow spout with a square tip. Skif's representation is more correct with the curved 90 degree elbow spout and a disk shaped tip.
The meterologial sensor on the Dragon kit is also very crudely represented, it is molded directly onto the turret top and looks like a "hump". Skif does a better job by molding it as two separate pieces and represents the little doors on each side.
The main periscopic sight on the commander's cupolar in the Dragon kit is undersized.
The Skif kits wheels lack rims and the hub is protruding (instead of being near flush with the rest of the wheel). SP Designs makes resin replacements but i find the rims are very delicately thin. I wish SP Desgns would thicken the rims on their mould. If you really have AMS, the SP Design track set has the open guide horns like the real deal.

In case you are considering it, I think it would be difficult to adapt the Dragon kit's Kontact 5 ERA onto the Skif kit because the turrets of the kits are very different in shape and size.

This Japanese modeller has an article of his SKIF kit, Dragon kit and also a photo comparison between the Dragon and Skif kits. You'll see the dimensional differences between the two. It is quite apparent.
The website name translates to "Armoured Victory or Steel Victory"
http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/buk_2m/making.html

I bought 6 of the SP Designs sets for the SKIF T-80 recently and generally quite satisfied with them. They are reasonably priced.

Tanker25
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 02:29 PM UTC
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your inputs. Btw, I'm talking about this kit:

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/LoadProduct.do?productid=24508

Hows the barrel? IIRC, the DML have an over sized one.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 09:04 PM UTC
If we are going to get into details then...

One thing that has to be noted is that the most reliable plans for the T-80UD are from the Polygon book on the T-80. Using these plans, I compared the DML, SP Designs, and SKIF turrets, and the SKIF turret, while better than the DML kit turret, is still off dimensionally at the rear. That has been rectified by the SP Designs turret offerings and they match the Polygon drawings exactly as best I can measure.

There are actual photo's on the net showing the same engine deck setup as what SKIF shows...but I think they come from a prototype vehicle, not a production series vehicle.

Also, just so you know that your suggestions have been noted, I have just finished compiling research and sending it to Sergej so that, IF HE CHOOSES, he can improve on the T-80 roadwheels (both hub and rim), the Kotact-1/3 ERA, and we are discussing ways to improve his "accurized" engine deck for easier use, especially ont he T-80UD variants.

One note with T-80 wheel hubs, it seems that ther are both flush and proud hub setups...anyone know anything about this? I have photo's that seems to show both setup's, but it may be an optical illusion. I have sent this inquiry on to "higher authority"..

Tanker25, I followed the link and see what you mean. The "profipack" kits from SKIF do indeed come with the appropriate Eduard PE inside, making it a good kit to start from for a T-80UD.
 _GOTOTOP