_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Copyright question
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 07:34 PM UTC
I would like to scan some instruction sheets and send them to someone who needs a copy. However I am wondering if instruction sheets would be protected by copyright laws. I want to help out but I don't want to do anything wrong. I was just curious.

I didn't know if this was the correct forum for this post.

Thanks, HARV
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 07:47 PM UTC
I think the company would frown upon it technically.

Most companies wont do anything as long as 1)your not making profit off of it and 2) you are not saying that you made the item in question.

You should be fine

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 09:20 PM UTC
Don't ask; don't tell.
There might be issues if you posted them on a web site without permission, but the company's not loosing money from your helping someone out. In fact you might be saving them money if your friend requested a spare copy.
I have had people send me copies and have done the same. One website ofetn referenced here includes a scan of the instruction sheets of all the kits they carry.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 10:39 PM UTC
While technically illegal I doubt they would put up a big stink about it as you are not ruining their reputation of hindering their ability to profit. It's not worth their while to go after one modeler who was only trying to help another modeled complete one of their kits.
 _GOTOTOP