_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British Lee Mk. I question
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC
It all started when I got myself a new M3 Lee by Academy. I corrected the too tall bogies and built interior, then I've scratchbuild the late configuration air cleaners (I had to lenghten the rear overhang in order to fit them in place, Academy made that part too short by 1mm), I plugged the exhaust openings and put the fishtail exhausts there. Looks like I'm on a good way to make a fairly square M3 Lee as used by the U.S. Army in Africa.

But there's always a but...In wyd. Militaria's book on M3 Lee / Grant I have found a photo and a color plate of British Lee from the 8th Armoured Brigade, in the desert, in a nice sand/green camo and it was called Battleship II. Now it seems to be the early production run, as it doesen't have the counterweights on either of the main guns. As we know the latter exhaust / air filters was not fitted until the guns recieved gyrostabilisation, so a tank without the counterbalances on the guns would have to have the early exhaust as in the academy kit right?

I'm asking this because I like the camo on the "Battleship II" but I wouldn't like to throw the scratchbuilt aircleaners into the bin for it. Even as it may seem that I have answered my own question, maybe there were some other rules for the British Lee's I dont' know of?

Thanks in advance!
Grzegorz
KEVINT
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC
Hi Grezegorz,

I am afraid I can't answer your qustion re the air cleaners etc.
But a couple of things. Does the book shown the WD serial number for Battleship II, and does it show a white 67 on red for the AoS ( Staffordshire Yeomanry ). As I think this is who she belongs to.

Cheers
Kevin
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 01:38 AM UTC
Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately the color plate doesn't show anything like markings or numbers, and the photo is too small/poor to decipher the WD number. Interesting is the fact that two jerrycans in the rear rack are camoed to match the rest of the vehicle.
Here are the scans:

Cheers
Grzegorz
blackhand
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 04:17 AM UTC
I think Kevin is right about Battleship being a Staffs Yeomanry tank it is mentioned in BT Whites "British Tank Markings & Names " Battleship 11 is probably a post Alamein replacement as only the CO's tank "defiance" survived the battle
KEVINT
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 04:35 AM UTC
Other Lees,

Staffordshire Yeomanry:
Blenheim, Battleaxe and Battlespite

25th Dragoons, 3rd Carineers:
Angel, Bamber Bridge Hellcat, Manchester, Nil Desperandum, Oxford, Shrewsbury, Surrey and Unbeatable.

Grzegorz? Are there any other names or WD serials shown in the book?
I would be interested to know.

Cheers
Kevin
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 05:32 AM UTC
Kevin, if it comes down to british Lee's, then there are two more on the photos from Western Desert, one in overall light stone, WD number T22686, no other markings are painted on it, also no info about the unit are provided, second described as vehicle from the 3rd RTR, 7th Armoured Division, WD number not visible from the photo. Then there are British Lee's from Burma WD numbers :
ko'ed T 25822 3rd Carabineers, T 25602 and "COSSACK", C Sqn, 150 Regiment,RAC.

If you're interested in Grants also let me know, although the book doesn't give any in depth information, there are more of the Grants photos and plates.

Pat, thanks for the information! Do you know any other picture of the Battleship II?
I'd be most interested in pictures showing it from the back. Or maybe any other Lee in desert camo?

Cheers
Grzegorz
KEVINT
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 12:58 PM UTC
Hello Grzegorz,

Thank you for the WD serials and "Cossack". I hadn't mentioned the Lee's of 150th RAC but I do have "Caledonian", "Cannon", "Cavalier" and "Centurion".
I am interested in any WWII WD serials. I am building a database of names and numbers. So all tanks, trucks, LVT's, SP's are welcome.
If you are looking for any names or numbers yourself let me know and I will see what I have.
Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers
Kevin
blackhand
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 04:56 PM UTC
Hi Kevin "British tank markings & names " contains atable of names & serials for 1st RTR june 44 4tanks per troop so it includes cromwells & sherman fireflies have you seen it ? Pat
KEVINT
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 05:13 PM UTC
Hello Pat,

Yes I have seen the listing. I take it you mean from BT Whites book? Although it lists names it does not always give the vehicle type used by that particular regiment.
Are there any names from 1st RTR that you are looking for?

Cheers
Kevin
blackhand
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 03:31 AM UTC
hi Kevin, Iwas actually after some of the Comets they had in Berlin for the Victory Parade.I believe the 4th name listed in each troop inthe 1st RTR table is afirefly as the serial numbers are out of sequence with the Cromwells all tanks in sqn HQ would be cromwells there should also be 4 cromwells in Regimental HQ. I believe certain names were repeated as tanks were replaced or lost & change of unit commanders could lead to naming or numbering systems being standardised good luck with the database if i find any obscure photos I'll let you know the info .cheers Pat
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 02:10 AM UTC
A little bump, still hoping someone can clarify for me the exhaust configuration question ?

Cheers
Grzegorz
 _GOTOTOP