_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Blast from the Past
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 07:55 AM UTC
I got an old kit in the mail today, the Monogram M-48 Patton tank. I won it on eBay for $13, neat kit that brings back memories. I've also got an old 1/32 scale Lindberg M-46 Patton tank, this one was motorized and the turret rotated left & right as the tank moved.

Makes me think about these old kits. We could never make them into the super-accurate representations of the actual vehicles, but they can still be built as they were intended to be and we can have fun doing so.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 08:08 AM UTC
Hmm. I just got an old Glencoe WW 1 subchaser in the mail on Tuesday from a real nice guy. I think he's a Major in the US Army *wink wink* :-) LOL
I'll sure have fun building this old kit... The whole deck arrangement needs to be redone, and a bunch of scratchbuilding is in store, but it is fun to build something that you have a particular interest in. I'm also thinking of scribing new recessed panel lines in place of the raised ones (see new topic). Thanks again for the model, Rob.

YodaMan
PS nice new avatar you've got there
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 08:35 AM UTC
I tell you what was fun Those old Tamiya motorized kits Used to have a ball playing with those things Anybody remember Rommel's Rod from the 70's? I can't remember who made the kit It wasa hot rod 1/2track with a skeleton crew
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 08:46 AM UTC
Check this out...I have two hobby stores that are close enough to me for me to drive to. The one I always go to has had quite a deminishing collection of model kits in the past few years. While their rc section has grown. Not my forte. Kind of a bummer.
Anyway, last week a new guy started at work with us and he spoke of a hobby store that I've seen with their ads only on bus benches and such for over 6 years and never gave them a thought because of their name: RChobbies. Needless to say I went there this past week to check em out. WOW, what a set-up! I mean wall to wall, floor to ceiling with kits!!!! :-) I felt like a kid in a candy store. Let me tell you about some ole kits! They have the ole Matchbox kits...yellowed box and all.!! They had Bluetanks, Esci's, the original monster models from Aurora!! IN THEIR RESPECTIVE BOXES!!!
Man oh man, what a place!!!!!
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me tell you about some ole kits! They have the ole Matchbox kits...yellowed box and all.!! They had Bluetanks, Esci's, the original monster models from Aurora!! IN THEIR RESPECTIVE BOXES!!!

Did You see any Halcyon kits by any chance? Dropship, APC, Sulaco or Alien?

YodaMan
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 09:23 AM UTC
I didn't notice Yoda, but I'll be back there on Monday and take a look around some more. I'll have more time this time...my wife won't be with me...than again, maybe I should bring her along, she bought me the Tamiya sand bag set. :-)
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 10:30 AM UTC
Ken, Check for me to see if they have a Matchbox or Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette ship model. It'll be in a BIG box. Thanx

Chief :-)
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I tell you what was fun Those old Tamiya motorized kits Used to have a ball playing with those things Anybody remember Rommel's Rod from the 70's? I can't remember who made the kit It wasa hot rod 1/2track with a skeleton crew

Rommel's Rod was made by Monogram in 1969 and was a Tom Daniel design (1/24 scale) kit #PC225.

As far as motorized Tamiya kits, I'm in the process of salvaging an old motorized Tamiya M113A1 (with help from a few of you) and have just about completed a motorized Tamiya KV-1C. Heck have plenty in the parts box awaiting a new life.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 05:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll have more time this time...my wife won't be with me...than again, maybe I should bring her along, she bought me the Tamiya sand bag set

Brave man... I'm still traumatized from the time I went purse shopping with my mom. I found out what those little stools are there for in all department stores.

YodaMan
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 06:07 AM UTC
I guess this is what you miss out on when you take a 15 year break from modeling. I will have fun in another 15 years on this site talking about the old days in 2002.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 04:11 AM UTC
Rob, those Mongram box covers you posted brought back some memories. I've built more armor kits than I thought, I remember building the M4, the Patton tank and did they make a 1/32 German Puma? Or something like that, I seem to remember a north afrika wheel vehicle.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ken, Check for me to see if they have a Matchbox or Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette ship model. It'll be in a BIG box. Thanx

Got ya covered Chief!
Bringing a pen and pad with me this time too.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and did they make a 1/32 German Puma? Or something like that, I seem to remember a north afrika wheel vehicle.

Ron,
I think you are thinking of the SdKfz 232 eight wheeled radio armored car. Had the frame antenna and came with 3 (?) figures and a plastic campfire.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC
Yep that's it Ron. I remember building that kit back in the 70's. Many moons ago, was living at home still must of been in high school when I built it. Not having any hobby shops in town, these were the only armor kits you could find in a department store.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 04:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Got ya covered Chief!
Bringing a pen and pad with me this time too.

Ohhhhhhhhhh,..........good Kenc', now it's YOUR turn to play Bag Lady!

Ahemmgh! Let's seeeeeee, where's my list?

Tread
Sabot
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you are thinking of the SdKfz 232 eight wheeled radio armored car. Had the frame antenna and came with 3 (?) figures and a plastic campfire.

Yes, and it was reissued last year.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 07:10 AM UTC
I'll do my darndest Tread!
In the mean time you can take a peek at their webpage.
Don't forget to take a good look at those palm trees out in front of the store...

http://www.rchobbies.net/
 _GOTOTOP