Hosted by Darren Baker
Up-Armored Humvee
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 09:37 PM UTC
My son just arrived in Iraq and he' sgoing to be a gunner on on of the new (?) up armored humvee's. Has anyone built one of these? I know I'll have to do some scratchbuilding to do one. Anyone know where I can get some good pictures of what this vehicle looks like? Thaks in advance.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 09:50 PM UTC
Tony,
If he just got there, most likely he is going to crew a M1114 or a version of. Mig Productions has a conversion kit of the M1114 for the Tamiya kit. Also, Blast models makes a conversion kit that adds armor to a standard M1025 Hummer. In addition, Eduard has the ASK photo etch sets available. You might not have to scratch build alot to say. Best thing is to get the exact nomenclature of the Hummer you son is riding on and then we could help you out a little better.

If you curious about the MIG conversion, both my self and Jeff(USNAVY2534) has threads in the campaign forum with inprogress shots of the kit. I also a pictures of the Blast kits in the Armor Features section.

SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 11:33 PM UTC
I appreciate the info. I'll check out your threads. Are conversions set avalible in the U.S.? As soon as I talk to him I'll find out exactly which model he'll be on. Thanks again.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 11:58 PM UTC
Yup, you can find them, but I got my Blast sets directly from Blast in France with no problem and the MIG set, on of the guys (Sopmod6) was so kind enough to sell me one of his for a good price. Eduard, you can get almost anywhere.

kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 12:11 AM UTC
Just a thought, but, why not ask him to shoot and send you some photos of what he's driving?

SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 01:25 AM UTC
Yeah, I'm going to have him do that (take pics) as soon as he get assgned to the vehicle. I was basically just trying to figure out how much would be involved. I wasn't aware there were already kits for upgrading. I apprecaite the help, GreyHunter. If I can't find what I need I may give you a holler. Thanks for all the help.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 02:09 AM UTC
I also know Models by Mixter just got a set of them, the conversion that is. Also the new M1114s have different wheels than the Tamiya kit provides (or any kit for that matter). MIG Productions does a set of these wheels as do a couple other companies, but MIGs are about the best that you'll find and the easiest too.

http://www.modelsbymickster.com/

My M1114 project
I'm not working on mine now because I'm back at college, so fun time ended (or easy times I should say) so I won't be working on it for until about Thanksgiving time.
Pete's latest M1114 pics
Pete's past pics

Best of luck. As best wishes to your son. I hope he stays safe.

Jeff
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:12 AM UTC
Thanks for the links. Great job on the model. I'm checking into the add on kits. Near as I can tell this stuff will only fit the Tamiya, not the Academy, correct? Thanks again for all the info and help.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 06:36 PM UTC
Yeah this is Tamiya only. Either way, I'd recommend Tamiya all the way, specifically the M1025 and then get the modern accessory set for the OIF stuff. You could get the M1046 and get the OIF stuff included, but you don't get certain items needed for an M1114, such as a .50, ammo racks, etc.

The figures included in the M1025 kit won't be up to OIF standard with IBAs, but that is relatively easily done, at a minimum of sanding off the raised detail on the figures PAGST vest and adding the straps of the IBA. But that of course is if you include pictures.

Jeff
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 377 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC
As a former 1114 gunner over there, give my regards to your son Tony. Keep his head down also.
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 03:45 AM UTC
I will do that Whiskey, and I appreciate it. I'll pick up a Tamiya version of the vehicle and then go from there. Thanks again for all the help.
 _GOTOTOP