_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Club M3A3 Stuart V - Any Isues??
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:49 AM UTC
Greetings all,

I'm just opening the box and wondered if there are any build issues with this kit.

I've read the review on PMMS but would be interested in any comments from someone who has built it.

Also can anyone tell me what the major differences were between the M3A3 Mk V and The M5A1Mk VI

Cheers

Al
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 01:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also can anyone tell me what the major differences were between the M3A3 Mk V and The M5A1Mk VI

Cheers

Al

The major differences are the shape of the hull and the engine.
M3A3:

M5A1:

More pics are available here and here.

Engine wise, the M3A3 still used the radial like the earlier M3/M3A1. The M5A1 used twin Cadillac engines.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
KEVINT
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi Alan,

Only one small issue off the top of my head.
There should be a dividing bar between the turret hatches, maybe " 2" " wide.
Not sure if same engine was used but M5 had a raised engine deck where as M3A3 was flush.

Cheers
Kevin
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 01:06 AM UTC
Al,
Its a great kit, even if its a bit pricey. There are a few errors. Right offthe top of myhead its missing the bar b/w the turret hatches and there are some supports missing on the light guards ( on the sides ). Care is needed aroung the breach - or at least for my skill set There maybe ore you could do to "perk it up" w/o buying the P/E set(s).

I built mine as the Chinese version and it maybe still under glass at MissionModels in CA.

Chris
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 02:32 AM UTC
Greetings all,

Many thanks for the feed back. Is there a kit of the M5A1 around or a conversion?

I need an M5A1for my IG Dio so would be happy to get another kit and use the M3A3 for a conversion to the recce version as supplied by AA, which is very cool LOL, LOL.

I know Tamiya had a kit but I cannot remember which version they did.

Chris as always thanks for the link.

The M8 appears to have the right rear hull shape is that a possible donor kit?

Any thoughts??

Cheers

Al

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 03:31 AM UTC
Hi Alan,

I'm in the process of putting together the AFV M3A3 with the new Accurate Armour interior and the Royal Models PE set. Should be nice model when completed, but won't be easy.... Accurate Armour's instructions are the b&w photo type with arrows to the finished part, not very helpful. Half way through the build, I'd rate the AFV kit a 9 out of 10, the AA interior a 7 out of 10 (could be a tad sharper) and the Royal PE set a 9 out of 10......

Frank
CrazyG
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 03:53 AM UTC
The Tamiya kit is as I remember an M5A1 but you need to get proper tracks for it ,the rubber ones are horribly wrong, and you could use the M8 but same applies to tracks plus the front plate is different (M5A1 has no vision hatches) and of course you'd need to get a turret too.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 03:53 AM UTC
Hi Frank,

Thanks for that assessment. The AFV kit is certainely a nice looking kit. I think the recce version will be great.

As I need an M5A1 for my IG build and the Formations conversion is mighty expensive I was thinking that perhaps I could use the Tamiya M8 for the hull and the AFV turret???

That way I kinda get two for one if you know what I mean. I think, but can't be sure that Tamiya did am M5A1 at one time?

I'll look forward to seeing you build when your get done. The AA instructions aren't always that clear which is a pity given that their kits are really great.

Cheers

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 04:02 AM UTC
Hi Richard,

Thanks for that. Not sure if the Old Tamiya M5A1 is still around but I can still get the M8 and could use the turret from the AFV Kit . Looking at the photos the other difference is the front, which appears to be a large welded steel plate and I could scratch that and get some new tracks.

That way I get to keep the important part of the M3A3 for a later AA recce conversion.

That might be the way to go if the old M5A1 kit is no longer around.

Cheers

Al
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 02:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not sure if the Old Tamiya M5A1 is still around but I can still get the M8 and could use the turret from the AFV Kit . Looking at the photos the other difference is the front, which appears to be a large welded steel plate and I could scratch that and get some new tracks.

That way I get to keep the important part of the M3A3 for a later AA recce conversion.

The Tamiya M5A1 is pretty readily available and usually for just a few bucks on Ebay, or at the swap tables at local shows. Bought new in the store, Tamiya's importers are pricing is as if it were a state of the art kit (but enough b*tching...).

There is one available on Ebay right now fro US$15, item #150015896111

The main problem is that the Tamiya Stuarts (all of them) have fairly significant dimensional problems. The M5A1 uses the same hull parts as the earlier M3 kit and this makes for some pretty bad contorsions of the hull compared to the real thing. If you are not a real rivet counter (as I will happily admit that I am) then the Tamiya Stuart M5A1 with AFV Club tracks should do the trick for you. However if you are an accuracy nut then there are a pile of things you need to deal with.

- The lower hull is a complete shambles and really needs to be replaced with a scratchbuilt job.
- Similarly the rear portion of the upper hull is also squashed and shortened to fit the older kit lower hull and needs to be replaced from scratch (Steve Zaloga did this in an older Mil Mod issue).
- The turret is pretty OK, but lacks a pile of details.
- The tool arrangement is for an early M5A1 while the rest of the kit details are for a late M5A1. Pick one and make the changes necessary to be consistent.
- The tracks are crap and must be replaced with the AFV link to link or a set of the Academy track, vinyl or link.
- The suspension units work only on the existing hull. If you scratchbuild a new hull, then use the AFV suspension kit that is available to replace the kit units. Do NOT use the Academy units as they are just as wrong as the Tamiya parts (Academy mostly copied the Taimya kit to make their series of M3/M3A1 kits).
- Use the AFV transmission housing to replace the Tamiya section of the lower hull.
- The rear suspension unit needs to be either detailed as the available AFV parts are for the M3A3 and are not quite right for the M5A1.
- There are a bunch of other detail changes needed if you want to go whole hog.

DO NOT use the M8 as a basis for an M5A1 as all the above shape problems have been carried over _plus_ the front glasis plate is very different and the turret ring is so much larger on the M8 Scott than it was on the M5A1 that your M3A3 turret would just fall into the hole.

If you have garnered from all this that the allied modelling world needs a new M5A1 then my diatribe has not been wasted...

:-)

Paul
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

Thanks of that feedback. I've sourced an old Tamiya kit and opted for the AA update set. I'm not sure yet how many of the errors it will correct, but I should find out next week when they should both arrive.

I'll get some new tracks and once I have both kits have a look at what needs to be done and what I can realistically do.

Nothing wrong in rivet counting, as a novice I'll do the best I can given my skill level and the impact on my wallet, which has taken a fair hammering this year :-) :-) :-)

Yip a new M5A1would solve my problem, and I dream of the day when I can open the box on a British Tank and not have to run all over the place, robbing parts, buying AM, hunting for decals etc etc, just to get it to look half decent.

I'll copy your words for further study. Many thanks or taking the time to reply.

Cheers

Al
blackhand
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 04:00 AM UTC
Hi Alan the tracks on the M5a1 are totally wrong I quite like the AFV club 3 bar cleat one piece track , basically I'm too idle to make thier individual link tracks ! and they look good. If you know someone who built the Academy M3 or M3a1 you can use the spare solid road wheels it gives it a different look . In the Accurate Armour update you get a nice radio (no 19 set ) and hull rear stowage bin which you need if you build the turret with the side coaming fitted .Good luck with the build Pat
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 04:08 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

Thanks for that. Not having to do another 500 links would be good, I was sort of thinking down those lines myself. :-) :-)

I believe the 'Micks' had the later version so that's the one I'll be looking to build. If the AA kit gives a good upgrade I'll be able to live with that.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP