_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Centaur/Cromwell tracks
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 03:41 AM UTC
I was wondering how good the rubber band tracks were that come with the Tamiya Centaur and Cromwell tanks. They seem good, but I'd like to know if they're worth replacing or not.
CrazyG
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 03:58 AM UTC
Personally I think they are ok, not as good as individual links but not far off and much easier. Plus they are the cementable type of plastic so they can be glued to the wheels easily to get that characteristic sag . I believe if tensioned correctly they should touch the top of the first and fourth roadwheels.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 10:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was wondering how good the rubber band tracks were that come with the Tamiya Centaur and Cromwell tanks. They seem good, but I'd like to know if they're worth replacing or not.

My Centaur tracks split spontaneously in the box where they had been folded over in the factory. The Cromwell tracks lasted a short time on the model before they, too, broke. The new, cementable soft plastic is dreck as far as I am concerned. Even if it survives installation, you must take care not to expose it to any kind of enamel or lacquer thinner, or it dries out and crumbles after a few days. The Model Kasten workable tracks are nice, and Hobby Boss has just introduced a new set of non-workable styrene links.
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 648 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:43 PM UTC
To add to this. I cemented some Tamiya cementable tracks from the T72 and I also tried my spare Cromwell tracks to verify. They disintegrated when I cemented them with a VERY small amount of Tamiya extra tin cement.

I think they are good tracks but I would suggest using the old fashioned heat seal method or glue them with super glue type glues. Seal them well and do not wash them with anything too severe, I would suggest water based washes to be safe.

Now for the good news, both MK and Fruili make tracks for this kit and I have used the MKs and found them to be easy to work with and very detailed. Bad part is they cost as much as the kit.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
blackhand
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hi Tom i've not had any problems with the Cromwell kit track s but if you would like to use an alternative the new Hobby Boss individual track links are great. cheers Pat
Repair
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 04:40 AM UTC
Indeed after a few years the tracks fallen apart, I has that problem with my Cromwell and now I have replaced them with Fruils, and I`m not happy with that solution
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:23 PM UTC
My Cromwell tracks came apart on me earlier this year.The Cromwell had been built about 3 years ago.Since they came apart in one place only I was able to repair them,however I doubt they will last as they now seem to be very frail.
Dont know if its faulty Tamiya"Rubber" or what,I have never had this happen before.

Mark
 _GOTOTOP