Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Cromwell Green?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 06:02 AM UTC
Is there a specific green for British armor,or is it the same as the olive for American armor. Instructions call for tamiya xf-61 Does anyone have any recommendations in acrylic paint ?

Thanks for any advice
IdiotStick
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 08:16 AM UTC
My preference for Britich armour is Gunze Dark Green. I put it over black primer and then using different layers of paint, shade the green to produce a weathered effect. Sorry I don't remeber the number on the bottle.

This is the Tamiya 1/48 Universal Carrier
hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 08:59 AM UTC
British armor (made in britain, not lend-lease stuff) was painted Scc OD No. 15. There is no out of the bottle match for this. It is usually described as being similar to U.S. OD when new, but faded to a bit of a greener shade. If I was just doing the cromwell, I'd probably go with Tamiya OD. But if, for some reason, it will be depicted with a Sherman V, a jeep, or something else acquired from the US, I'd try to add some green of some type (flat green, dark green, Olive green, etc.) to it to try to differentiate a bit. In the end, after washes, dust, etc., it shouldn't make too much of a difference anyway. HTH
rob
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 08:28 PM UTC
Exactly. With all the washing and filtering that we do, matching exact shades is worthless. For british OD I like to mix Tamiya's OD (50%) with their olive green (25%) just to give it a little bit of warmth, and add dark yellow (25%) to compensate for scale effect.

the percentages are approximations. I eye my mixtures, and they change slightly from model to model
 _GOTOTOP