_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Photoetch - Which Brand?
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 333 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 06:12 PM UTC
Which trademark is best? Any classification? How are the different trademarks? The only ones that I have are Aber, Eduard and Verlinden and I prefer by far Aber and after it Eduard. Verlinden´s Photoetch *****. I´ve seen quite many other trademarks (lionmark, etc) but have no idea how they are.

Thanks in advance,
Angel
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 06:37 PM UTC
Hola Angel!
I think you'd better be more specific as to what you have in mind... That way there could be someone who has used that specific set and can give you the pros and cons... There are costs, ease of use, amount included, accuracy, necessity etc.
Cheers
Brad
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 06:46 PM UTC
As Bradley states, the answer depends on what kit you need PE for. Aber's is best overall, but if they do not make a set for the kit you have, then their quality does you little good.

Here are some of the manufacturers, not in any particular order:
Aber
Eduard
Voyager
Lionroar/Lionmarc
Part
ExtraTech
On The Mark (many generic sets for multiple kits)
Show Models
Verlinden
Ordnance (did a series for the old Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog)
Airwaves (one of the first, many OOP for older kits)
Gum Ka
KMY
Custom Dioramics
RCR (mainly for Italian armor)
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Which trademark is best? Any classification? How are the different trademarks? The only ones that I have are Aber, Eduard and Verlinden and I prefer by far Aber and after it Eduard. Verlinden´s Photoetch *****. I´ve seen quite many other trademarks (lionmark, etc) but have no idea how they are.

Thanks in advance,
Angel

In terms of quality of etching, Aber and Eduard are much the same, though sometimes Eduard uses metal stock that is too fine--when double etched, it's as fragile as foil. Eduard also fudges their research sometimes--in the press to get a product out the door quickly, they sometimes invent details (like the Ariete's tow cable retainers) or simply copy an incorrect kit part (forward engine grill on their Academy M18 update).
Part has some very nice kits, as does Lion Roar, though they again sometimes "get it wrong"--Lion Roar's KV-1 and KV-2 sets have incorrectly shaped engine grills, and their Challenger 2 engine grills are simply too small. Voyager does some nice work, though the inclusion of resin parts pushes the price way up--best to buy them from sources in the far east. Royal Models of Italy also does the multimedia approach with the same high costs. I concur that Verlinden usually offers very poor photoetch.
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 09:36 PM UTC
Gerald's post is pretty much spot on, especially about the thinness of some of the Eduard PE. I think you would be better served deciding on what kit you want to build and then asking for recommendations about teh PE. If, for instance, you wanted to build a M-113, as far as i know only Eduard do PE for them, here i am thinking of the Academy kits. The Eduard sets for the M-113 are very good and you can use virtually all the parts quite easily. However if you wanted to build say a Panther, then i would recommend that you use the Aber sets which IMHO are way better than the Eduard ones.

Regards from the Swamp

Eth
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 333 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 11:31 AM UTC
Thanks for all your help guys,
Angel
 _GOTOTOP