Hosted by Darren Baker
German WW2 office
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2006 - 10:49 PM UTC
I want to construct a WW2 German office (I already bought Custom Dioramics parts) but wish to know more about door and window dimensions, wall colors, floor composition and colors, etc. Also, where were wartime offices typically established-in commandeered buildings, or constructed for the purpose? Thanks.
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 10:32 PM UTC
Hi Tom

I am working on a similar project at the moment. I can suggest a few tips, if I may. A lot of internal structure of buildings and finishes, depends on the region eg. occupied Poland, Low Countries, Italy etc. All have slight differences and unique architechture.. I have used quite a few period pictures to examine both internal and external finishes on buildings. Research is the key here. For accurate dimensions, use a scale figure to determine door and window sizes as well as height from the floor etc. Its always important to look at a few basics eg. tops of door frames level with tops of windows, second floor windows given room for a floor etc.

I have seen many field offices and command posts set up inside abandoned hotels,post offices and even shops. These would make very interesting dioramas indeed.

Please feel free to email me if you would like some pics etc. I am sure I can dig up a few good ones!

Cheers
Garth
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 01:03 AM UTC
Actually, I was planning to do an office in Germany, say, part of a scientific or intelligence establishment building. I can assume most of these were ordinary office buildings or those constructed for the purpose-or do I guess wrong?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 03:31 AM UTC
Just to let people know I just got my office furniture from VLS Custom Dioramics. It's four wooden cabinets, a wooden desk and a typewriter. They look good, but I have no idea how to paint these items. Does anyone know about painting resin furniture?
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 06:18 AM UTC
I would definitely prime the furniture before painting. If you don't you risk paint peeling off.
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 07:43 PM UTC
Hi Tom

I think you are right on both. There are buildings built in Berlin by the Germans between 1938 and 1942. A good example might be the Riechs Chancellory, in Volstrasse. The old one was used by Hindenburg post WW1.The new building was used to house the War Ministry as well as the Interior Ministry. Hitler used this building to direct various European theatres until his operation centre moved to the bunker below the Riechstag.

A representation of a one of these floors or offices at the Chancellory may be a good idea! Many senior generals used these offices from time to time.

Good luck with the diorama.

Garth

_GOTOTOP