_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Converting Tamiya M26 to M26A1
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:18 AM UTC
Though DML makes an M26A1 kit, I'd rather make a conversion based on Tamiya's superior M26 Pershing kit. I have the replacement Eduard gun barrel and the newer-style AFV Club replacement tracks, but is there anything else that would need doing? Thanks.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:29 AM UTC
Another feature of the M26A1 was the addition of turnbuckles on each outer corner of the fenders. These are included in the DML kit, but are pretty easy to scratch as well. That is about it. Good luck.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another feature of the M26A1 was the addition of turnbuckles on each outer corner of the fenders. These are included in the DML kit, but are pretty easy to scratch as well. That is about it. Good luck.

I forgot to mention I am also using the Eduard PE set to go with the M26 as well, which I believe includes turnbuckles. Thank you.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 08:09 AM UTC
Here's a great walkaround:

http://svsm.org/gallery/M26

Along with the barrel, cut down the double baffle to a single, fill in the periscopes next to the blower housing and the M26A1 had more of a flatened look to the front housing of the blower. Also, the travel lock was relocated to the rear deck.

And, judging by a few pics, the front fenders were removed.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 03:54 PM UTC
"I forgot to mention I am also using the Eduard PE set to go with the M26 as well, which I believe includes turnbuckles. Thank you."

hey,
if they didnt,let me know,we built DML's M26 Perishing,and back dated ours,so we didnt use the turnbuckles on our fenders,as far as i know,thier still sitting in our spare parts bin.
Joe
 _GOTOTOP