_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Arty Up! Sturmtiger
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:23 AM UTC
Finally I had time to take a few photos, so I'm posting them. In two topics at the same time...
Anyway, here are some photos for this campaign: Tamiya Sturmtiger. Definately artillery Eduard and some scratchbuilt interior (didn't know the q-tips were that useful for building: from the hydraulical arms to the torsion bars they were invaluable), Jaguar transmission I picked up in Hungary this Spring, and a machine-gun from a Tamiya 250/9. (It can't be seen, so why bother? Dunno. Most of the interior won't be seen even through the opened hull.) I got the kit started from someone so I have no idea who made the resin Zimmerit.
The decals were cracked so the rockets don't have decals... The resin transmission was really too big to fit (much bigger than any aftermarket Tiger transmission I have seen), so it underwent some surgery. (The worst 5 minutes I ever had modelling. I have never before mutilated an expensive aftermarket item...)
I'm not sure about the camo yet. The all-dunkelgelb seems boring, and I have seen the 3 color ambush on Sturmtiger models with heavily feathered edges, with hard edges, with little dots... and I'm no expert.
Your comments are welcome.
(Why, oh, why can't I link the photos from Webshots?)

Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:30 AM UTC
All I see are little red X's.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 07:36 AM UTC
Sorry, I tried to link them from Webshots.

(Alternatively, I'm shy... Don't take criticism very well)
#:-)
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 09:04 AM UTC
I have never seen the sprues for this kit so I am unfamiliar with the side construction. Did you cut away the side to show off the interior?
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 09:18 AM UTC
Yes. That was the other heart attack. I was thinking about lifting the top as it was in the original, but the floorplate and a few things were already glued in, so I could not detail the interior as much as I wanted. So I opted for a small hole that shows much, but not too much I saw this on a museum jagdpanther.
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 10:24 PM UTC
They show up now, and everything looks great to me! I forgot just how big those monster rounds were. Promises to be a great and terrifying looking build when you finish it.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 01:12 AM UTC

The basic camo is ready. (I saw it on a model a while ago; it's probably not very authentic.) I'll have to correct it a few places (and the blue tac pulled off the resin zimmerit...), then comes the weathering. The images suck (I used an old camera), and all suggestions are welcome.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 08:36 AM UTC

It's getting ready. Due to limited space in my gallery, the rest of the photos can be seen here
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:23 PM UTC
Very nice! Cool idea to cut out a pieces of the side to show the interior. Must have hurt putting the knife to the plastic though

The camo looks pretty authentic to me, but I do not have my books right here, so cannot be sure. However, I know some of the Sturmtigers had ambush camo, so you are not completely wrong

Looking forward to see it fully finished.
 _GOTOTOP