Armor/AFV: Braille Scale
1/72 and 1/76 Scale Armor and AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpter 1/72 Scale Vehicles
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 04:02 AM UTC
I grabbed a couple of modern Trumpter ZIL-157 truck kits for $3.95. I ordered a couple of sets of Extra Tech PE for them. They are nicely done vehicles that equate to the US Army's 900-series 5 tons. I bought a fueler and a regular cargo version, the PE sets add wiper blades, fire extinguisher rack, mud flaps, side mirrors, steering wheel, headlight guards, tail lights, tow hooks and replaces the wooden pallet looking rack on the roof of the cab.

I'm impressed with the quality of the kit as well as the PE sets. The PE sets were listed for a "MAC Distribution" kit, but appear to be a perfect match for the Trumpter kit. The only exception being the reference to kit parts by number, the Trumpter part numbers are different than what the PE instructions refer to to kit parts as.

Overall, nicely done. I'll try to post photos when I finish up the trucks.
Tony_Frey
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 01:52 PM UTC
So, how'd they turn out? Any pics yet? :-)
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 02:02 PM UTC
Not finished yet, I started the M1/York conversion then the Cold War campaign arose. The suspension is designed to be working.
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2003 - 02:53 PM UTC
Its good to hear that they are good kits. Trumpeter kits are really a mixed bag. I purchased (but have not built yet, as ussual) all incarnations of Trump's Abrams. They are quite amazing to my standards. Yet, the Chinese T-69 kit I have is quite awefull and almost umbuidable since the glue I am using does not react with the plastic.

From what I have been reading the new releases are pretty good in terms of detail, but sometimes the detail is a bit soft. I hope they take extra care with the 1/16 T-34s.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 02:29 AM UTC
Hey bombshell, I am working on the Trumpeter T-55 w/ BTU-55 and cannot say I am having too much trouble at all...just with a few of the turret fittings, but nothing terrible. To make a good kit out of the Trumpter kits, just make sure you have references to work from...the instructions are a bit screwey.

Also, SP Designs has released 2 turrets for the Trumpeter T-55 kits. There is no reason to help the Tamiya kit anyhow...makes the turrets look better, and more accurate with basic turret piece additions. like the spotlight mount et all.

Finally, Bombshell, try using Tenax as your glue...should work MUCH better on the old plastic.
 _GOTOTOP