_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon AMOM - Dsotm
dsotm
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 08:15 PM UTC
Here is my finished oob Dragon Premium Panther D. Very little weathering as the dio its going into will have it as just been delivered from the factory and having the camo pattern being applied. All markings were sprayed on and the extra wooden storage box on the right side was scratch built

Brian

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 09:13 PM UTC
Looking good Brian. The nice thing about seeing a model unweathered, is that the detail is very visible and it gives a clear image of what you are getting.
I must say those tracks ... are unbelieveable. The detail is amazing. These alone would almost sell a kit to me.

Some nit-picks for you ..... I know you said that its factory fresh ... but the camo contiues perfectly from the schurzen to the wheels. Its almost as if the tank was lifted, from the factory to the front, without turning a wheel.
Also if the camo pattern is just being applied .. it appears they have taken great care not to spray over the tools and track stowage. Would the tools have been removed or would they have overspray? Just some thoughts.
armorjunior
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 237 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 10:11 PM UTC
i want to know when they build tanks is the paint scheme painted in the factory or does the army paint it? or does the soldiers them selves?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 10:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i want to know when they build tanks is the paint scheme painted in the factory or does the army paint it? or does the soldiers them selves?

A lot of the time there was standard camo regulations and it was factory applied. But at different points during the war, the soldiers also field applied camo depending on change of regulation or conditions.
"All of the above" is probably the correct answer, but if you´re modelling a certain vehicle, in certain condition and in a certain time of the war, you would have to research to find out the appropriate answer.
dsotm
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good Brian. The nice thing about seeing a model unweathered, is that the detail is very visible and it gives a clear image of what you are getting.
I must say those tracks ... are unbelieveable. The detail is amazing. These alone would almost sell a kit to me.

Some nit-picks for you ..... I know you said that its factory fresh ... but the camo contiues perfectly from the schurzen to the wheels. Its almost as if the tank was lifted, from the factory to the front, without turning a wheel.
Also if the camo pattern is just being applied .. it appears they have taken great care not to spray over the tools and track stowage. Would the tools have been removed or would they have overspray? Just some thoughts.

Good points. In the dio the vehicle will be at a temporary maintenance point where the green has been applied over the Dunkelgelb, and various bits and pieces are being put back onto the tank. For instance the MG32 is being worked on outside of the vehicle

Brian

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From February, 1943 until September, 1944, German vehicles were finished in overall Dark Yellow at the factory, and cans of Olive Green and Red Brown paint concentrate were supplied to the troops, who applied camouflage in the field. From September 1944 through the end of the war, camouflage was applied at the factory, though units in the field still applied and removed the temporary white winter cammo paint.
 _GOTOTOP