_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Sponge technique
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 05:07 AM UTC
can anyone direct me to the right articles, links concerning the
sponge technique?

thanx Peter
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 09:37 AM UTC
never heard of it other then using it with projects demonstrated by Martha Stewart
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 05:57 AM UTC
Peter, I believe you are referring to the technique of using one of those plastic scouring pads?

If that's the case, it rather simple.
1. After your base color is totally dry, just tear off a small piece of the pad.
2. Dip it in your second color paint, and blot most of it off the piece on a paper towel, until only a little is being transfered.
3. Stipple this onto your model to your liking, it's best if you keep turning this piece, so you don't end up with an obvious repeat in the pattern. A light touch works best.

VenomOrca
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 06:22 AM UTC
Im not sure where you can find them on the net, but I suggest doing a google search, you find most everything else this way so give it a shot.

BTW...The Sponge technique has got to be the BEST technique ive learned in a long time. You can basically find what your looking for in the Osprey publications book How to build the Joseph Stalin 2 and 3 series of heavy tank and also their book on building the T-55. Although the JS-2/3 book explains the technique in more detail.

Its quite easy once you have the hang of it. Heres how I do it, It varies just a bit of how the Osprey author does it.

A) Paint your ENTIRE model black. This serves as a preshade and offers a good base from which to begin.

B) Paint your base color and/or camouflage.

C) Take thinned black paint and dip it in a sponge, any sponge will do. Use a more dense sponge for larger scales. (More space between the pores---Larger scale) To be safe test the pattern on index card or something. Just be sure to make it look like scratches and scuffing.
Scuff your entire model concentrating mostly on the edges and other high wear areas.

D) Take thinned base/camouflage color and sponge this on the model. Basically what your trying to do is create a mottled, patchwork like effect.

E) Take thinned Rust color and sponge this sparingly over the model, but somewhat less sparingly on the bottom hull and underside of the tank.

F) Take your base color and airbrush a thin coat over everything. What you want to do is tone down the chipping. Make is so the initial chipping can be seen just under this coat of paint.

G) (Optional according to preference) Airbrush a lighter color of the basecoat on the top surfaces of the vehicle. This is to replicate sun fading

H) Decal, varnish, do whatever you do to the model to prepare it for weathering.

I) Weather to your liking and if needed repeat the chipping/sponge processes above for more contrast.

I am guessing the author developed this technique for use on strictly Russian vehicles to get that battered looking feel to them, but there is no reason the technique cant be used on any other vehicle. Always experiment. Mistakes can be corrected...usually. Its only a model, do what you feel looks right.

Good luck.
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 09:18 AM UTC
any photos of this on a completed model??
steelskin
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

any photos of this on a completed model??

kevin, check out the Models on Display section on this site. look for the soviet t-34 in winter camo (great looking build!). i was wondering how the chipping was done on the turet and several other sections because i'm planning to do something similar. reading jon's explanation of the sponge technique, i'm led to believe this was how he did it. maybe somebody can confirm this?
VenomOrca
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:56 PM UTC
The sponge technique was used on my latest...

Hopefully ill have more pics soon.
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 09:46 PM UTC
well I guess I put a question out that made sense (this time around :-) )
Thanks everybody for sharing , and please do put pictures up, or tell me where to find them, so I have a visual feel for the end effect.
I guess I'm gonna give an old crappy model ( from back in the day) this threatment to check out how handy I am.

Greetz to all and everybody
Peter
 _GOTOTOP