Hosted by Darren Baker
Best Material for 1/72 pine trees?
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:50 AM UTC
What material would you suggest for making conifers in 1/72nd scale?

Thanks for your time!

Steve
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:16 PM UTC
Hi Steven

I see from the lack of response you have us stumped!

I can advise the following:

Some years ago I made a virtual forest of conifers and poplars for my wargaming setup (in 1/72nd scale). I used styrene foam and cut the basic shapes from the foam, either cone shapes (conifers) or cylinders (poplars). I then attacked these with a soldering iron to ' engrave' the shape of the trees and give them texture. I used small twigs for trunks and then primed with PVA / water mix and painted them dark green. I added PVA glue again and sprinkled with flock powder. A coat of matt varnish sealed the whole thing with matt varnish. Sorry I dont have any pics, but maybe this helps.

Regards
Garth
Removed by original poster on 09/19/06 - 07:04:27 (GMT).
screensize
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 06:31 PM UTC
Hi Steve,

how much time do you want to invest?
I have some tutorials for conifers, but they are quite detailed and require a bit of time.

Silflor - translated from german

cheaper variant - translated from german

I'm shocked, this site doesnt exist anymore - it had the best cedar tutorial I've ever seen... The pages are still accessible via Archive.org, only without images
makeing cedar trees

Anothe website that doenst exist anymore, damn I wish I had saved them to my computer...
digitaldioramas

Hope it helps nevertheless.

Chris
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm shocked, this site doesnt exist anymore - it had the best cedar tutorial I've ever seen... The pages are still accessible via Archive.org, only without images
makeing cedar trees

Yeah, that was a nice site, but you know, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get my trees to look like the ones in the pictures! Luckily I printed out the instructions and saved them, so I'll try them again some day, but man those trees were great!
 _GOTOTOP