_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
British armor kits
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 09:26 AM UTC
Can anyone tell me how good the Valentine and Bishop kits are? don't want to buy them and they turn out to be lousy kits,i've heard that they arent to good and then some say they are;are they? Thanks.
modelmaniac
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 09:47 PM UTC
I've got both, the Valentine kit is in a DML box and the Bishop is in an RPM box, but both are the Marquette kit. I think they are nicely done. The Bishop has a turret interior that looks nicely done as well. I have not built either, but I am confident they will build as well as any DML kit. They both have single track lengths.
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 10:09 PM UTC
Sabot,
Marquette kit's huh? great like their stuff, thanks for the information.
Happy Modeling
modelmaniac
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 10:49 PM UTC
Yes, both kits have identical chassis and track link sprues. Only difference is the turret and decals.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 11:24 PM UTC
I built the DML Bishop.
It's the first time I gave up on a kit.

The running gear was full of sink holes, and the tracks just wouldn't glue together! I had black brittle plastic tracks in my kit. I use Testor's cement in the glass bottle for assembling indy link tracks, and these just wouldn't stick together properly. After much glue, they froze into long lengths that would not go around the running gear. The lengths kept breaking because there is not a secure connection between each link, they just kind of butt together. Anyway, there were many expletives!!

I tried to finish that sucker off a few times, but moving from Montreal to Texas led to binning the kit. I'm ashamed to say that lump of plastic won!

I'd only built one other kit with indy links before that (and I'd been back into armor modelling for a couple of years, ie. a half-dozen kits built), so you can blame the carpenter. The huge sink marks in all the bogie assemblies were a bear, and I'd stay away from those kits unless you are keen to use lots of putty and have more gluing skills than I do!!

Cheers
Andy
 _GOTOTOP