Hosted by Darren Baker
Brick Walls
HES21
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 288 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 03:39 PM UTC
I want to build a small brick wall and a brick house. Should I get the Tamiya or Italeri sets (which is better?), or scratch-build my own? How would I go about doing that?
Thanks...
Harry
koenele
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 4,194 posts
Armorama: 408 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 03:57 PM UTC
i like to scratchbuild my walls. You have much more possibilities then. I use plaster for the wall and a screwdriver to scribe the stones...

good luck

koen
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 03:59 PM UTC
Scratch build your own. They will look much more realistic than either Tamiyas or Italiari. Although both kits are relatively cheap, they really lack in detail and versitality. For the amount of effort needed to make them look good you might as well scratch build.

Cheers,
Charles
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 04:08 PM UTC
If its only a small wall a good way to scratch build it I've found it to use hard plaster and pour it into an old cd case then smooth it over. When it's dry it comes out of the case easily and then you can scribe the details on it
HES21
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 288 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 05:44 PM UTC
Excellent! Thanks guys, and it seems that plaster is the way to go... like the CD case tip too!
Cheers guys

Harry
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, September 15, 2006 - 04:08 AM UTC
Hi Harry. Id skip the Tamiya and Italeri walls. Theres probably more work involved, trying to get something to look realistic that what they´re worth.
You could buy some better buildings from Custom Dioramics or Verlinden or even Great North Roads who have nice items at a fairly good price.
Scratching is great fun though, if you have a certain scene in mind, want to keep it cheap or just enjoy the challenge.
Making a square frame on a glass sheet (glass from an old picture frame, and 10mm square balsa for the edging) can make an easy mould. Fill this with hobby casting powder and then cut and scribe.
Below is an easy wall I made this way, for a 1/16th figure and gun.

Instead of casting this wall, you could also visit a building site and get some cuttings from plaster boards and remove the paper.

The next casting is a slightly more complex mould to get the 3D detail.

CLICK HERE for an explanation onhow the above wall was made.
Hopefully this gives you some ideas on howto proceed! Cheers.
 _GOTOTOP