Hosted by Darren Baker
Accurate Armour WMIK Land Rover
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 05:21 AM UTC
Just about finished, a few touch ups are needed, but this is the all resin and metal kit of the Weapons Mounted Instalation Kit Land Rover. Next it will be put on a small base, ready to be presented to the owner of one of these in 1:1 scale. More pics to follow when it's finished.
Your comments are as always much appreciated, but it won't be weathered, or painted in Desert Camo... well, not this time anyway..

Cheers
Henk
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:53 AM UTC
Looks good.

I have one of these waiting to be built. How well/easy did it go together?
harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 12:36 PM UTC
Hi Henk
That looks awesome. Do you have any pictures of the constuction as I tried building one of these but when I got to the suspension I could not get the springs to stay in the right position and so it ground to a halt. therefore any pictures of the suspension and any tips on how to do it right would be great. Thanks. Nick
docdios
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 01:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Henk
That looks awesome. Do you have any pictures of the constuction as I tried building one of these but when I got to the suspension I could not get the springs to stay in the right position and so it ground to a halt. therefore any pictures of the suspension and any tips on how to do it right would be great. Thanks. Nick

hi nick

i had the same problem when i built mine, in the end i replaced the springs with ones i made using copper wire, little softer so at least the suspension didnt have a habit of firing across the work bench :-)

keith forsyth
Gypsy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just about finished, a few touch ups are needed, but this is the all resin and metal kit of the Weapons Mounted Instalation Kit Land Rover. Next it will be put on a small base, ready to be presented to the owner of one of these in 1:1 scale. More pics to follow when it's finished.
Your comments are as always much appreciated, but it won't be weathered, or painted in Desert Camo... well, not this time anyway..

Cheers
Henk

Looks really good as a basic UK WMIK. A couple of points for you Henk.

The two rear lights closest to the centre line are reverse lights and should be white/clear.

The seats are black vinyl not grey.

The paintwork (in this state) (on a UK military WMIK) is actually a semi-gloss and slightly darker green.
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 03:24 PM UTC
Thanks guys,

Pave hawk and Harrier,

Well, let's say it went together well for a resin kit... :-)
Seriously, no real problems for anybody who has done some work with resin before, as long as you realise that this is not a 'part B1 goes with C5' kind of affair. The chassis (white metal and resin) needs care to get every thing straight and lined up correctly. This is vital, as the fit of the engine and body work depend on it. The only real dissapointment are the wheels. They have a massive air bubble on the tread, but luckily you can't see it when the wheels are in place. And the SLR's ,which are supposed to fit in a rack between the seats, are not brilliant either and don't fit in the rack...
The suspension is a mystery to me, why Accurate Armour wants you to try and tension the springs on a static model is beyond me. I just cut the springs to the right lenght before glueing everything together.
Other than that it's a nice kit, and I can see myself do another one, but in desert camo.

Gypsy,
Thanks for the pointers, the seats is funny, as the instructions call for dull grey, and the seats in the real one that this one is supposed to depict (note that I have not yet done the number plates, my go between hasn't given me the details yet..) are grey as well. When I do one for myself I'll paint the seats black though, as I think that it looks better. The rear lights I have painted as per the instructions, I'll have to check the lay-out on the real one to confirm. The paint is more glossy than the pic shows, you are right. I used Tamiya 'Nato Green', (brush painted) which gives a beautifull semi-gloss sheen when lightly buffed.

Cheers
Henk
harrier1
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 06:43 PM UTC
Hi henk and keith
Thanks very much for that info on the suspension. nick
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 09:53 PM UTC
Nick,

I only have two pic's of the suspension during construction, here's one, the other is in my gallery

Not much detail, but if you need any other info just shout.

Cheers
Henk
Gypsy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And the SLR's ,which are supposed to fit in a rack between the seats, are not brilliant either and don't fit in the rack...

SLRs in a WMIK? WMIKs didn't appear until the (very) late 90's. SLR's went out in the very early 90's. Never the twain shall meet
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

SLRs in a WMIK? WMIKs didn't appear until the (very) late 90's. SLR's went out in the very early 90's. Never the twain shall meet

Ahh, you know, the modern rifles, I'm not really up to speed on modern equipment... :-)

My personal wapon in the Dutch Army (National Service 89-90) was an Uzi. Now if you where to ask me about taking that apart and putting it back together again behind my back that would be something else :-)

Cheers
Henk
docdios
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 01:08 AM UTC
the kit comes with Sa-80s, but they are still a pain to fit :-)

cheers

keith forsyth
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the kit comes with Sa-80s, but they are still a pain to fit

SA-80. See, I always mix them up with AS-90's, and would like to look like a pr$t by explaining how the 155mm howitzer does not fit in the rifle rack.... :-) :-) .
Right, back to WWII German tanks.

Red faced
Henk
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 06:09 PM UTC
right, the final corrections have been made (most notably the WMIK, which I was told was green, but turned out to be Black... 0)
Number plates have been hand painted, to match the real one, and all that's left is to do the base.

Cheers
Henk
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 09:16 PM UTC
That looks slick! I'm a fan of the WMIK...never did buy one though...
 _GOTOTOP