_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M50 Circa 1956
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 04:59 AM UTC
Done up for the Suez Campaign. Dragon M50 with VVSS from Academy and engine deck from Italeri. Finished with Tamiya and weathered with enamels and oils. Hope you like it.

Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 02:41 AM UTC
Hi Doug,

Good job on your M50, looks well weathered, dusty and used I'm quite curious what is the story behind missing smoke dischargers? Was it that not all M50's were fitted with the smoke tubes from the start?

Regards
Greg
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 04:50 AM UTC
Hey Greg, Not sure what the story is on the missing smoke launchers, but in a couple of pics from 1956 they are not mounted. Maybe there was no time to fit them before the war seeing that the first batch of M50s arrived in Israel of the eve of the war.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 07:57 AM UTC
Most if not all of the M50's went to war in 1956 with no smoke dischargers; there wasn't time to fit them. Pictures in Dr. Robert Menasherob's excellent book, "Lioness and Lion of the Line: The M50 and M51 In Israeli Service, Vol. 1" show these tanks with empty holders or even bare holes in the turret with wires sticking out! Two companies were deployed, with mostly M4A4 hulls but also at least one each M4A1 small hatch and M4 Composite in the first production batch. They were delivered just a few days before the start of the war.
Greg
This post was removed.
This post was removed.
tgannon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 04:50 PM UTC
Interesting theoretical thought about going against a Panther with the M50. It's essentially the same gun, as adapted for the AMX13.

Tom
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 03:27 AM UTC
M50 vs. Panther...well, I suppose the French could say something about that. They used a few Panthers post-war, and developed the CN-75-50 gun from it. Anyway, I'll hypothesize a bit: Like most engagements, it goes to the side that fires first. Either gun will penetrate the other tank at likely battlefield ranges (under 1000 meters). I'll give the (very slight) edge to the M50 (or any Sherman, really) in a close enviroment such as urban or wooded terrain. Why? faster tank and much faster turret traverse. One gets you out of the line of sight, the other allow you to keep the other guy in it. But really it comes down to the first point: Whoever shoots first accurately wins.
 _GOTOTOP