_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Emhar WW 1 Tadpole complete
Jeffamentrul
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 08:20 PM UTC

Finished the Tadpole this morning. Gave it a little bit of mud made up of static grass, star dust flat earth, white glue and water. I then gave it an overall wash with some raw umber oil paint thinned with white spirit (2ml spirit to about 1ml paint). Since taking the pictures I have noticed that the four large holes on the back "legs" of the tank need a bit of weathering in them, you cant see the un weathered paint in the holes without looking at them through the camera !! Bloomin cameras always find things wrong !!!!!!!!!. I used the Cavalry Charger name plates from Tamiya's Mk3 Cent kit and also the FSOA2556 ID numbers, ficticous of course for this tank.

Hope you like I enjoyed making it, even though it was of very poor quality (and expensive........£18 !!)

Cheers

Kev
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 08:29 PM UTC
Very nice Kevin. As a fan of WWI armor I really like it. The weathering looks great. I have this kit sitting on my shelf with all of the other stuff needing to be built. After looking at yours it makes me want to get started on it. Thank you for sharing.

HARV

PS. It looks like your Tadpole has SpongeBob a little worried!! :-)
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 06:14 PM UTC
hey,
very nice indeed,twice now ive looked at this Emhar model at the shop,and ended up walking out with something WWII era,and it was on sale,next time i go back,it'll be on my pickup list,good thing the shop is so far away,two maybe three times a year,will make a day out going there.
Joe
Removed by original poster on 09/22/06 - 20:18:16 (GMT).
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 06:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice Kevin. As a fan of WWI armor I really like it. The weathering looks great. I have this kit sitting on my shelf with all of the other stuff needing to be built. After looking at yours it makes me want to get started on it. Thank you for sharing.

HARV

PS. It looks like your Tadpole has SpongeBob a little worried!! :-)

maybe his Tadpole,just ran over Patrick!!!
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 04:57 AM UTC
Looks Great. I'm glad I didn't have to crew these things.
TheUman
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 05:55 AM UTC
Nice Pictures. I am working on the same modelright now. What is the color you used for the Interior? Is this the interior color on the Mark II in Bovington?
Jeffamentrul
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 04:24 PM UTC
Hi,

I used Revells Airbrush Enamel, No.39, Dark Matt Green. Gave it two coats straight off with no primer. Then I mixed up a wash using Winsor & Newton Raw Umber with white spirit, 2ml spirit to 1ml paint. Made the mud by mixing star dust light earth with white glue and a bit of water and static grass. Slapped it all on the tracks and let it dry. The red and white stripes are Revell Matt White and Tamiya Flat Red all done free hand.

Hope this helps !!

Kev
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 06:58 PM UTC
Very, very nice Kev! Hope my 'female' Mark looks like that!

Jeff
TheUman
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 07:59 AM UTC
Sure Does. But I'm thinking of Poppong a hatch or two and was wonderning if you had any insight as to the interior color. I have an old museum guide from the bovington museum and it shows the insides (OPEN HATCHES)of a Mk II as an off white. I realize that was pretty standard in WWII (at least with US tanks) and I wondered if it was just painted that way

Anyway, this is a hairy kit. Every part is a fight for fit. The treads just scare me.

MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 08:19 AM UTC

Great job Kevin

Nice job on the red and white stripes and love the mud and dirt

Quoted Text

The treads just scare me

TheUman , I used the :-)8 hair dryer to heat the tracks , it allows a little flexibility to bend them around the sprockets

Ian
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 02:34 PM UTC
is that built oob kevin? i have some emhar 1/72 kits in my stash, a Mk iv male and an a7v, and i've always thought one of these british tanks in 1/35 scale would look the buisiness on my display shelf. good job on the weathering btw you've really caught the look of burnt and rusty metal on the exhaust pipe
Jeffamentrul
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 03:14 PM UTC
HI,

Yep it was built oob, it only took me about 25-30 mins to build it and that included cleaning it all up and getting it to fit properly (well as near to proper as possible !!). I am pretty keen now on getting some of the other Great War tanks in Emhars range.

Cheers

Kev
TheUman
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 03:26 AM UTC
Aha! The old "Hair Dryer" Ploy!

Thanks. A very good tip.

_GOTOTOP