_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Snow camo for Shilka....need info
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 880 posts
Armorama: 874 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 09:38 PM UTC
Hi guys,,,,,I've a pictures of a soviet shilka in snow camo....so it's all white...it's a very interstin subject....Have you more photos of this model in this camo?!My pictures come from Concord book N° 1039....but photo is in b/W.Can you help me?!

Thanks in advances

Ciro
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 09:46 PM UTC
Here is one found by google

Erik
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Uh, ...that's not snow camo. That's a burnt out Iraqi ZSU in the sand

Ouch, my mistake ... Thanks Gary.
dbusack
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 971 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:58 PM UTC
Don't know if these would be much help for you or not:

http://www.primeportal.net/apc/zsu-23-4.htm

Don
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:10 PM UTC
Don beat me to it, the last picture on that link that Don gave you is the one I have, it is a winter scheme, although I don't know if its the same one you have in B&W.

Here is the pic anyway:

Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 880 posts
Armorama: 874 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
Many thanks guys,but,,,,,I've these photos...the pics about Erik....is an iraqi shilka that was destroyed by marines near baghdad...and it's in sand camo,I've just seen the pictures on armorama,and Scott pictures is a shilka in a museum,,,,,these tanks have a different camo....and not with the original camouflage scheme.......the pictures that I need is a Shilka in overall white colour with a stripe of russian green,in which we can see the unit number....however thanks for your inputs and sorry for my poor English....

Ciro

Best regards
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 12:35 AM UTC
My understanding is that the winter cammo would be applied in two ways:

1. White wash quickly done with a mo/bucket/etc...sloppy, quick and would wear quickly as well.

2. Replacing the tan or grey portion of the new cammo scheme with white. Some units have the green/tan/black cammo, some have the green/grey/black, just so you know. For fun you could do a shilka with white/grey/black as well...hmmmm, maybe I will do that!
Removed by original poster on 10/09/06 - 05:34:57 (GMT).
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My understanding is that the winter cammo would be applied in two ways:

1. White wash quickly done with a mo/bucket/etc...sloppy, quick and would wear quickly as well.

2. Replacing the tan or grey portion of the new cammo scheme with white. Some units have the green/tan/black cammo, some have the green/grey/black, just so you know. For fun you could do a shilka with white/grey/black as well...hmmmm, maybe I will do that!

I believe that the Naval and Airborne regiments use the green, gray and black scheme while the Motorized Rifle and Tank regiments use the green, sand and black.

At least that's what I have noticed in the pics I've seen

I had stated in another thread about camo on the Shilka, that the (as you may already know) green, sand and black is the "official" camo but there are variations from unit to unit and from region to region that's mostly based on available supplies and or funding

In the Concord book on page 6 & 7 there is a PRP-4M with a 4 tone camo of dark olive green, medium green and a pale (almost seafoam) green with black based in the Siberian District

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 08:39 AM UTC
My understanding is that the Siberian District is "different" than all other and I have seen many interesting cammo schemes form vehicles purported to being assigned there. Suffice it to say that there is some leeway in how things are cammo'd, but "normal" russian modern is green/sand/black crow's feet.

Also, airborn units do not have the ZSU-23-4...or tanks. I have seen several vehicles, T-80U...T-72B...MTLB...PRP-4...all in the grey/green/black scheme. Definately NOT from Airborne or Naval units that I am aware of. I believe they are from the Siberian District as well.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 11:45 AM UTC
do you mean this?

http://perso.orange.fr/zarodinu/recit/lockon/1_a10/shilka.jpg

cheers,

mat
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 04:56 AM UTC
Hey Mat,

Yes, that is the "standard" Russian cammo scheme right now.

_GOTOTOP