_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
M-16 a2 comando? colors
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hola all,
I need some info: what colors is a m-16 a2 comando and where does it wear the most ie. metal showing through? A picture would be great!!

Thanks a bunch
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 02:17 AM UTC
Try here:

http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/assault/commando/commando.htm
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 02:37 AM UTC
You could not have given me a better link BC!!!! Thanks and WoW that was a fast reply!!
Thanks again!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 02:44 AM UTC
If you would of asked this before last weekend, i could of gotten you some good pics. We had weapons qualification on my drill weekend. We use the M16A2 but the pretty much wear all the same way. As a matter of fact, I took a picture of me with my wweapon. Its not that great, but maybe it will help. Picture will be on the way.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 02:48 AM UTC
Wow...now that's a cool site!
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 03:10 AM UTC
yeah it is awesome! I wish the US forces would have a similar thing!!
GrummanAvenger
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 01:35 PM UTC
Gun metal colour...don't know if testor has it...but it is available from a Japan company for sure
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gun metal colour...don't know if testor has it...

They do, it is Model Masters #1795, but it looks more like a metallic dark navy blue. When I was stationed in Germany, I picked up a few tins of Humbrol Metal Cote. Their gun metal color went on looking like flat black, but once you rubbed a soft dry cloth on it, it looked like it was made of black metal.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 12:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

yeah it is awesome! I wish the US forces would have a similar thing!!

In fact, the US Army/Air Force uses the M4, which has a slightly longer barrel. The longer barrel is a compromise between the longer/very accurate barrel of the M16A2, and the short/less accurate barrel of the Commando. The M4 comes in the original "loop" version, and now in the flattop version. The flattop version allows all manner of sights and gizmos to be attached to the upper receiver, on what look like civilian scope rails. Rarely, they can be seen with neither the scopes or the handle.

The colors are a flat dark grey-black on themetal parts, and a slightly lighter black on the forearm (which is actually made of plastic!). The forearm has a more semi-gloss sheen to it. From a couple of feet away, the metal parts (everything except the forearm) are pretty flat in appearance. Interestingly, this is one place a careful drybrushing of silver is appropriate. The weapon is mostly aluminum, other than the barrel, and the top of the receiver, the collapsible stock, and top handle show silver when they get dinged. If you are showing a weapon in hard use, particularly one used by mechanized troops, then it can be pretty banged up around the edges.

As a side note, does anyone else see the irony in the Israelis giving up on a IAI weapon in favor of an M16 variant? It hasn't been so many years since the M16 was reviled by nearly everyone as the Mattel rifle!
 _GOTOTOP