_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Please help with dlaster dio painting
mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 253 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 04:24 PM UTC
Hi all, I'm going to try and build my first dio. It's part of a french village made in the UK by Great someting. It's complete with road and a few walls. Assembly is stright forward, but how do you paint plaster, do you have to prime it first or can you just start firing away. Can you airbrush, or is it better to use a brush. Anybody got any tips or point me in the direction of a website ??
Thanks for any help.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 04:58 PM UTC
Hi, I think the one you mean is by Great North Roads. If it is ceramic plaster, you can paint straight onto it with no problems. If it's ordinary plaster then you're best first painting it in a weak solution of white glue in water. This will seal it and stop it from absorbing all the paint. Hope this helps!

Vinnie
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 05:04 PM UTC
Hi,

Under the features section on this site you have this wonderful article from Keith Magee
"Preparing plaster dio kits "
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/15

It should give you most answers you need ( i need to reread the article myself)

Cheers
Claude
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 05:05 PM UTC
Vinnie has you covered on the sealant side of things.
As for brush Vs Airbrush - airbrush all the way, it gives a nice even finish and on larger pieces is much quicker than a brush even taking into consideration cleaning time.
Shep Paine's "How to build dioramas" covers your questions very well - actually it's an excellent book entirely and one that I still love to pick up and flick through regularly.
cheers
 _GOTOTOP