Hosted by Darren Baker
My Das Werk Unimog S 404
JavierDiesel
Visit this Community
Valencia, Spain / España
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 05:35 PM UTC
Well, thanks to good friend Michel Pérez who took the pics, here is my Unimog S 404 that was present on the tables at Euromilitaire. It's the Das Werk Miniatures full resin kit of the truck, and built nearly "straight from the box", with just the lights hollowed out and substituted with vac-formed ones. I enjoyed a lot building that little lovely beast designed by Jorge López, so when I arrived to painting It was pure fun making a "nearly to be retired" Mog from a unit of the FFA (Forces Françaises en Allemagne) in Berlin. It got no medals at Euro but for me it really doesn't matter as my intention was simply to show it on the Das Werk stand, they finally couldn't attend the show, so instead I decided to enter it in competition. Anyway, thanks for all the undeserved praises and comments I heard at the Southcliff and the Show, these things are the really nice things that make Euro so special.

bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 2,450 posts
Armorama: 2,409 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 05:52 PM UTC
Very excelent job.
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 09:31 PM UTC
Fantastic - I find it hard to believe work of this calibre doesn't win!

Would you share your technique used in photo four. How did you do the rust there on the tailgate?

Cheers,
Andy
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 04:43 PM UTC
First of all, welcome to the site Javier.

Your unimog is outstanding. I'm very impressed by the weathering.
How did you do the rust, on the front fender and the tailgate?
JavierDiesel
Visit this Community
Valencia, Spain / España
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 05:39 PM UTC
Hi, thanks a lot for your kind comments!

Base paint it's a mix of Tamiya acrilycs. Over that some filters airbrushed with other Tamiya colours diluted in it's own solvent to get the faded green, then some more filters with Humbrol and white spirits, and subtle dark washes for shadows. Rust it's basically mixes of red, black and yellow from Humbrol: black and red for the dark chipping and scratches, after that I lightly wet the area with white spirits and blur the edges of the chips a bit, plus add some yellow+red for the orange rust and streaks. If the "blur" is done in the lower part of the chip, you can make some nice little streaks, and add a bit of the orange to get the real effect. It's just question of a good fine brush and trying to be very subtle in the size and shapes of the rust (no coffee at the same time!).
Mudid68
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 08:58 PM UTC
Hi,

I am looking for this Das Werk Unimog s404 but I have not received any answers to my emails. So Das Werk seem out of business now. Is there anyone here who has further information about them? Thanks. Regards
Mig_Jimenez
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / España
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 10:49 PM UTC
Oui, they are out of business, but maybe you can find any kit in stock in any of their ex-distributors. CHeck Blast Model, maybe you can find something!

regards

MIG
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 11:22 PM UTC
Nice work Javier !
Perfect Scale Modellbau has released a 1/35th scale S 404 as well (kit #35009):

HTH
Frenchy
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC
Real nice Unimog. The weathering is very realistic! and very well done!

Jaymes.

Mudid68
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 09:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oui, they are out of business, but maybe you can find any kit in stock in any of their ex-distributors. CHeck Blast Model, maybe you can find something!

regards

MIG

Very bad news if they are out of business and all of their French distributors are out of stock. Of course there is an unimog available from Perfect Scale Modellbau but it is more expensive and less accurate according to some of my fellow modelers.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hi Didier.

I have a Das Werks UNIMOG I might be willing to sell to you. E-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested. I am in the USA.

Quoted Text

I am looking for this Das Werk Unimog s404 but I have not received any answers to my emails. So Das Werk seem out of business now. Is there anyone here who has further information about them? Thanks. Regards

Mudid68
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:52 AM UTC
To Patrick: thanks. Email sent.

Besides, dear fellow modelers, which S404 Unimog is the more accurate between the Das Werk kit and the Perfect Scale Modelbau model (special question for those who saw both kits)?
 _GOTOTOP