Roof ::WIP::cafe honeycut
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 05:46 PM UTC
Hi there
Got some work done amongst the heaven-like TV sporting mecca that was my weekend...

This is for the building I'm constructing for my small Normandy diorama... Decided on a shingle roof, which surprisingly was more effective than expected... Did some weatherboards for the sides of the dormer window; also turning out better than I thought...

Bidduva crap pic, but my camera conked-out not long after...
There will be some flashing and capping placed along the wall line and the ridge respectively...

Will have some guttering and a downpipe on the right edge, probably attached to the right wall...
Thanks for having a look, and if you can give me any tips, bring 'em on!
Cheers
Brad
insolitus
Visit this Community
Goteborgs och Bohus, Sweden
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 05:53 PM UTC
Nice done Brad! I don't have any critique to give you, just go on like this!
Btw, What have you used as Shingles?
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 06:11 PM UTC
Thanks Andreas
The shingles are timber veneer strips from the LHS... They have a display stand full of them, and they are all of varying widths, thicknesses etc. Very good stuff... Nothing looks like scale timber like scale timber... :-) They come in lengths of about a metre, and you just cut to suit...
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 03:22 AM UTC
Brilliant Brad, nicely done !!!
What are you going to use for flashing, I don't know what was used in your setting but, was copper used ?, or tin ?
Cheyenne
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Andreas
The shingles are timber veneer strips from the LHS... They have a display stand full of them, and they are all of varying widths, thicknesses etc. Very good stuff... Nothing looks like scale timber like scale timber... :-) They come in lengths of about a metre, and you just cut to suit...

No comments, looks fantastic and realistic too. BTW, is it in 1/35 and what is the size of each shingle if you don't mind?

Cheers and more pics please....
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 11:03 AM UTC
Hi Brad,

No critic from me, you have my blessing :-)

Seriously, they look great. Is this this kind of autoadhesive stuff?
Do you intend to keep that colour. In case of, you just caught yourself in a painting trap. You should at least have primed your window before laying down the shingles. To late !

Cheers
Claude

Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 11:42 AM UTC
That roof section looks really really good Bradley. Keep up the good work
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What are you going to use for flashing, I don't know what was used in your setting but, was copper used ?, or tin ?
Cheyenne

Thanks, and a good question Cheyenne... Methinks a tin ridge cap, and possibly lead for the flashing? Regardless, it will be the same width no matter what the decided 'finish' will be...

Quoted Text

BTW, is it in 1/35 and what is the size of each shingle if you don't mind?

Gday Arvin!
Thanks and yes 1/35, and the shingles are probably a scale 2' by 1' including the overlap...
Claude thanks for the blessing They aren't auto adhesive... They are simply very thin strips of timber, which I cut at approx. 1cm intervals... As you can see I ran out of one colour, but luckily found another of the same width! And as for painting, it is all to be primed, and was just coincidence that they looked so darn natural as is
Jesper
Thanks for the feedback, and I'll get some more pics up soon...As you can see there isn't much to finish it (externally) so I'll drop it on the building and drop the building on the diorama and then drop the ...(Ooh that was close;)) so I can take an overall photo...
Cheers
Brad
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Andreas

Sorry I've just see this. But Wow nice job Bradley. Like this alot better then the roof tiles I'm using. Whats LHS and if it's the company making these is it available over here? I also had to use something a little thicker then I would have liked on the windmill, this looks pretty thin.
Bob
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 01:28 AM UTC
Brad mate where do you find the time !?

that looks just fantastic. A really nice touch, very sharp and accurate. On that second photo in particular you can see very nice lines. Your posts are always a treat mate.

Just had to be a dormer window though didnt it :-) bane of my life at work those things.

lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 07:39 AM UTC
Lookin awesome Brad...
i take it your mecca was both finals?

...Storm were robbed

Cheers
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Like this alot better then the roof tiles I'm using. Whats LHS and if it's the company making these is it available over here? I also had to use something a little thicker then I would have liked on the windmill, this looks pretty thin.
Bob

Gday Bob sorry for the acronym but LHS is merely Local Hobby Shop!
Seems this display stand is at a few of the shops around here, so I'd imagine it is a generic supplier... They are $1 to $2 for
about a metre on average, and are about .4mm, so quite thin...(more for the thicker ones obviously... )So very cheap for repetitious work material!
They do tend to splinter a little as real timber would, so a careful 'pilot' cut first is recommended...
If you have any trouble finding a local supplier, PM me and I'll grab you some
BigJon, thanks for the words... Love looking at your updates more, though So you build dormers? Any pics of the immediate interior for me (nudge nudge wink wink;)
Davey, thanks and what are you working on at the moment?
Yep talking finals here... Storm got stitched good n proper
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 01:01 PM UTC
hey nice building going on there

just letting u know i was watching a game trailer for a new game coming out for PC i think called company of heros and while watching the trailer at the start they had a building called cafe normandy its in the first couple of minutes of the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VFMinRHQiE

matt
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 03:47 PM UTC
Nice job overall. One thing I see that I might work on is an ornametal detail on the sophit (sp). The overhang of the roof part above the window that looks like this ^ - Second picture, the white strip under the shingles. The depth of that (the overhang) looks a bit big and 'naked' I'm thinking a bit of ornate detailing would tiddy this up and dress it up a bit.

This is a total style personal thing so it's up to you.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 04:54 PM UTC
Brad, did you get the wallpaper I sent yet? Should be there, if you don't get it in the next couple of days please let me know.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 07:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job overall. One thing I see that I might work on is an ornametal detail on the sophit (sp). The overhang of the roof part above the window that looks like this ^ - Second picture, the white strip under the shingles. The depth of that (the overhang) looks a bit big and 'naked' I'm thinking a bit of ornate detailing would tiddy this up and dress it up a bit.

This is a total style personal thing so it's up to you.

Thanks Scott
The sophit (sp.) will have some sort of detailing as you state... ?Have to study a couple of photos to decide which way to go about it... Will have one of those wrought iron hook looking things from the top of the ridge on the dormer (what are they for?!)
~Matt saw that trailer! Looks like some game, although I think it'd freeze my CPU in some of the battle scenes from what I've read...
~Paul, will check the mail tomorrow; thanks again!
Cheers
Brad
rommel93
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 169 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 07:20 PM UTC
Hi Brad and all,
I have been away for ages and this is still looking awesome
 _GOTOTOP