_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Which BMD kit to buy?
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 10:22 PM UTC
Just wondering which ofthe three BMD kits are the best. SkiF, Eastern Express, or the Zvesda. I thought the Zvesda was a copy of the Skif kit.

TIA
Chris
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 06:31 AM UTC
I concure with Gary, the Zvezda kits are the best of the lot if you are looking for the standard BMD-1 or -2.

If you want the stretched BMD-D or 2S9 Nona, only Eastern Express make them. Alanger kits are reboxes of Eastern Express kits, with some other thrown in...like the BMD-D with the AT launcher listed as the ROBAT and the BMD with ZSU-23-2 (Yeah, I know it is not REALLY called that but I like calling it that so ).

If you get the BMD-2, I would pony up for the ModelPoint brass barrel, it is the only thing out there that does the gun and baffle justice. Really.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 06:35 AM UTC
Oh, and SP Designs may come out with a 1V118 artillery spotter conversion for the the 2S9 nona kit. It looks really cool if it sees the light of day. I am trying to convince Sergej to do a BREM-D recovery version as well, we will have to see.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 06:22 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

having tried the three brands, I for sure would choose Zvezda. Their detail are nice and quite crisp. They have clear parts for the vision blocks. The AT4/5 firing post is very nice and comes in double ! The instructions are understandable even if the painting instructions only show profile and not 5 views drawings.
The drawback is their very poor two-part vinyl tracks that oblige you to get some replacement parts. At leat 2 AM companies are selling resin sets.

And yes, Jacques is right only EE make the BTR-D variants with Alanger reboxing them. They are not that bad but can't fairly compete with Zvezda.
The "robot" is only the BTR-D with the AT4/5 post which is awful ! The Shkrezet (ZSU 23-2 for Jacques ) is still a "secret" but I guess the gun should be the EE one which appears to be the only one in town and not a great one.
You'd better buy the vehicle on one side and on the other side the gun from Azimut which have a nice detail set.

Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 07:38 PM UTC
I am not sure who made the molds for the ZSU-23-2, but there seem to be at least 2 kits out there in circulation...anyone know the origins of the ZSU-23-2 that SKIF used? EE's offering is a rebox of someone else's kit as well.

And Olivier, the Shkrezet is not a secret...it is for sale on eBay right now! I just hope ALANGER decide to re-release the EE 2S9 and BMD-D.
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 07:45 PM UTC
HI

Yup, Zvezda is best but having built an EE kit, I can also recommend it.

The Z tracks are a PITA!!! I would recommend upgrading the tracks and whatever doodads you can with MP items.

Tom

chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 08:29 PM UTC
Guys, Thanks for your input. I got the Zvesda kit and some AM goodies - Lion Roar Tracks, and Eduard P/e ( Its for the EE kit, but I can make it work for the $ ).

I bought the SkiF kit, but sold it in one of my Partially built sales on Missing Lynx.

Go Figure......

Thanks Again
chris
 _GOTOTOP