Hosted by Darren Baker
USMC "Tac" Marks
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 08:50 PM UTC
Does anyone have a source for accurate USMC "tac" (tactical) marks from the late 1960's/early 1970's?

As I recall, in Vietnam (1969) the W/1/11 tac mark was a red "114" inside a red circle. Similarly, I think the H&S Btry, 1/11 was a red "110" inside the circle.

At 4/10 a few years later, I think I recall L Btry having a blue "343" inside an orange diamond that had a blue outline. I'd like to get it right before I start marking up any of my projects.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dave
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 10:57 PM UTC
Howdy Dave, it sounds as if you are describing Division embarkation symbols/markings, RUC(Reporting Unit Code) or MCC(Marine Corps Code) markings. I know that in the sixties and up to the mid seventies USMC tank and amtrac battalions used a yellow shield symbol with a unit alpha numeric combination in the center in red(scarlet?) Like "1TK" for 1st Tank Bn. 1st, 2nd and 3rd Marine Division regiments vehicles used a Blue Diamond, Red Shield or a Red, Gold, Black Caltrop respectively. The regimental number or fraction for battalions went inside. In the mid seventies the division symbols changed to black outlines with the numbers in black in the center. That is about all my mushy gray matter can rember. Happy USMC modeling. Out here.
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 08:59 PM UTC
Mike -

Thanks. I am trying to get some definitive info from the Historical Branch as well. If I get anything from them I will post it.

Dave
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 02:31 AM UTC
Howdy Dave, I would appreciate seeing whatever you come up with. Information from the period you are doing has sort of fallen through the cracks. Happy USMC modeling. Out here.
 _GOTOTOP