_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Interesting Post Re Morser Karl Gerat DML
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 05:48 AM UTC
Subject: Re: HLJ updated their product page with pics
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003, 19:00:17 -0800

As far as I know, those photos are NOT of the final production version of the Dragon
kit. I don't know exactly what transpired, however when Tristar and Trumpeter announced
that they were doing Karl, Dragon had to rush to put something together to promote
their version of the kit. The same thing applied to the boxart that I did for it.
(And I'm still recovering from the 20 hour days! I'm way too old for that nonsense).
;-

In any event, I can pretty much guarantee that Dragon's work on Karl began at least
12 -16 months ago. I doubt very much that they had any knowledge of what their competitors
were up to. Coincidental work on similar projects is nothing new in this industry;
Tamiya and Italeri both produced panzer IV kits back in the 70's. The Karl comes
along at a time when the bulk of the German inventory has already been produced in
kit form and the process of elimination easily suggested that this could be a winner.
(I have it on good authority that pre-orders are well beyond expectations. Personally,
I had NO interest in such a subject until I spent two weeks wrapped up in every detail
of it whilst doing the boxart. Now I find it rather compelling.

While I do agree that there are MANY non-German subjects that deserve doing, a recent
conversation with the owner of DML indicates that the modelling community will buy
German subjects in numbers FAR beyond anything else. Like it or not, it is a business
and while I prefer to build subjects related to the winning side, I do understand
the
manufacturing point of view!

Cheers,
Ron V

This was from Track Link. Mr Volstad makes some interesting observations reguarding production and choices for production. Don't you think?
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 01:40 PM UTC
Well Tiger, I posted earlier in another thread that most companies ask what we want at the many trade shows around the world!!!! When I'm asked what i want to see I almost always reply with subjects from the German army... The only exception was a comment card for the guys at Hasagawa, a 1/48th hi-vis A7-E Corsair II, It was released last month!!!!! So, on that note y'all need to find ways (e-mail, comment cards, talking to company reps) to let them know that you want more yuki allied stuff, you never know you might get it!!! stug
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 01:05 AM UTC
I find it interesting that with only 6 of the thing actually built, we've got 5 companies making models of them... one more and we've got as many model COMPANIES making them as there were REAL vehicles.

Hasegawa, CMK, DML, Tristar and Trumpeter.. who else will make one?

Mike
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 04:37 AM UTC
I didn't feel like starting a new thread for this. Sorry to revive an old one. These are going to be HUGE. No 1/72 stuff here.
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:19 AM UTC
Hi,

Tiger101, is that the K5 Leopold at 1/35 that rumours have been eared about ?

Must be huge.

Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 07:25 AM UTC
That it is TUGA. The photo is from DMLs Nurenburg display on the web site. That thing is going to take up its own shelf. If you did a dio you would need a whole room. LOL :-)
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 09:35 AM UTC
Getting back to the Karl for a moment, there's a thread over on M-L right now. It seems someone just got one in Hong Kong and was not to happy with it. No specific details given yet, though.

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=47207&messageid=1045059924
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 10:11 AM UTC
Very interesting post Tiger ...... thanks for sharing. Im not gonna buy any models this year ...... except for this! Looks so coooool!
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 11:55 AM UTC
ukgeoff
I saw that post too. It sounded as if they expected much more. I have seen shots of the sprues, I can't tell yet. I really think that Tristars will be better but, for the price ($70 something) I don't think you can beat it. The Leopold looks awesome! I can't wait to see that in a hobby shop.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 12:27 PM UTC
It sounds like they are comparing it to the old Nashorn to me.

Rob
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 02:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Getting back to the Karl for a moment, there's a thread over on M-L right now. It seems someone just got one in Hong Kong and was not to happy with it. No specific details given yet, though.

Yeah, I already responed in this thread about the whole ordeal.

Andrew

Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 02:41 PM UTC
Oberst "Crotch Block" was you? Do you think that DML is the first rush to market? They will prob. win in the end due to price.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 02:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oberst "Crotch Block" was you? Do you think that DML is the first rush to market? They will prob. win in the end due to price.

Tristar's will be cheaper. Get from inside information. And I saw the DML one in HK as well, I have to admit, it doesn't look too good, and very simplified.
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 03:00 PM UTC
SS-74 Tristar will be cheaper? That's great news. I'm going to wait till I see the real thing myself. Mr Volstad seemed to be impressed with the product (could be brand loyalty).
SniperSoldier
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 03:06 PM UTC
INTERESTING POST TIGER
ROBERTO
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 03:30 PM UTC
Yes, Tiger, will be cheaper, I mean the Tristar one. I totally understand Mr. Ron's statement here, after all he got PAID to do DML boxart, right? no offense to Mr. Ron. He is doing the right thing.
Sohcahtoa
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 03:51 PM UTC

I was looking at the picture and I noticed something that made me laugh, did anyone notice that small thing hanging just under the Leopold
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 12:08 AM UTC
I did see that little note paper, but I just figured out what it is......no pictures......d'oh!
Maybe that's why the photographer has the side of some dudes head in the shot....probably pretending to take a pic of the people or was unable to aim properly while trying not to draw attention. LOL....we got spy photos :-)
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 12:12 AM UTC
Hey guys, that pic is from DML's web page, hehehe i saw it there earlier!!!! but still those are some huge kits hehehehehe, i like railway guns!!!!! stug
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 12:13 AM UTC
This photo isnt the best but it came from Dragons web site. They have a bunch of stuff from their Nurenburg display. Not much 1/35th scale. Most of it was "Action" figures.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 01:38 AM UTC
Well I still have mine on hold Dml Karl for the price I was quoted I think I will get it anyway unless Does Hobblink Japan have the Tristar one yet?
Thanks for the heads up on this one
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 07:42 PM UTC
Well guys, I just got My Karl today!!!!! Wow to me it looks nice and nowhere near toy like!!! But i have differnt standards than most, I'm not a rivet counter!!!! oh thats my 2 cents stug
 _GOTOTOP