_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Campaigns
Group builds and online competetions. Join the fun!
Hosted by Darren Baker
Pier 51 Layout Update
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 12:59 AM UTC
Greetings all,

Here's a revised layout for Pier 51 showing the addition of the Lighthouse area.

Lighthouse Area:

Moving down the pier:

With Boats

I have a post on Shipwrights if you care to view it with the original idea, and an explaination into the changes in these pics.

Although now a smaller 'water area' I think it would still be enough for the boats to get in/out??????? :-) :-) :-)

Any thoughts of comments most welcome.

Cheers

Al
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 02:26 PM UTC
Gday Al
This is looking a bewdy!
Had a butchers at the Shipwrights post also...
The 'bow' end of the dio where the beach is looks a little too sharp? I mean where the wall above the sand is to be. What if it stayed square to the opposite end? Just seems a little 'enclosed' from a viewers' perspective, and if opened up that little bit, it would make viewing from over the water easier...
Also how about the smallest craft on the outside of the two landing craft?
Once again I'm speaking for the viewer, in having small to large, front to back... I know this would put similar craft next to each other, but IMHO the pros outweigh the cons!
Love to see the progress of this, as the height of the sea wall will be a great backdrop, and to have some vehicles on top as well will cap it off nicely!
Have one other thing... Get your water colour and sand as spot-on as possible for your location. These will be the big clinchers for a completely authentic look
Cheers mate
Brad
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 05:14 PM UTC
Hi Brad,

Thanks for the feedback. Someone else had mentioned about squaring it off a bit, I'm not sure as it would mean loosing a bit of the road and also from my memory of the origingal pier the road ran straight between it an another pier on the LHS so you had that odd shape which I though was more interesting than a normal rectangle??? Given the height of the sea wall and pier I though an irregular shape would work better???

Changing the layout of the boats would be fine, might make it a bit regular though. I'll try them out in different ways. From the pics I've seen they were stacked pretty much on top of one another LOL, LOL.

You right the biggest concern is the 'water' :-) :-) :-) that will make or break it.

I haven't settled on the little beach area yet, I originally intened to have it running the full length of the sea wall with a rowing boat beached on it and a culvert running from underneath, but having changed the layout a bit felt a small area might be better. I might lose a bit more and have the water just up to the edge of the slipway with only a little sand to the side.

The final psoition of the Lighthouse isn't settled yet, I might loose the dog leg and use the building to form the end of the pier on a round if you know what I mean.

The cut out in the pier wall might need to be bigger, I had hoped to get some steps in around tha area.

I have Trucks to park on the sea wall and a Bedford will be reversing on to one of the LCMs.

The new layout allows for another goods wagon which was what kicked this whole thing off so that would be good.

Again thanks for the feedback, no doubt thing will change as ideas develop.

Cheers

Al

Edit,

Re the bow end by the slipway, I could round that part of the sea wall?
jlmurc
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 08:00 PM UTC
Looks good so far Al, it looks like it is going to be some size, so will it replace the coffee table in the living room.

John
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 04:15 PM UTC
Morning John,

Yip, I'll have to build a platform to hold my tea and cakes :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP