_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Have an M1A1 and an HMMV, but need a dio idea
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 05:05 PM UTC
I posted this in the dio forum, but wanted to see if I may also drum up some ideas here.

I have an M1A1 and an HMMV that I wanted to put into diorama form for an upcoming art show at my university. I was looking for a possible design or ideas of how they could be setup so they were interesting to the casual observer (I doubt most of the folks at my school are hardcore armor fans). I was thinking of something during Desert Storm, but was uncertain of a good layout or design as this will be my first diorama. Any help that you folks could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot and happy modelling,

Jeff
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 06:00 PM UTC
Jeff,

Over at AMPS, we have some photos of the last AMPS-02 models. Some of these had both the M1's and Hummer's, and they might be of help.

Dave

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I posted this in the dio forum, but wanted to see if I may also drum up some ideas here.

How about this idea, it really happened to me:

During REFORGERs, my company commander used to tell us to "follow him" whenever there was a FRAGO (fragmentary order) issued over the net. He would take off in his HMMWV and we would try to keep up in our tanks. He would go down these "spider trails". Spider trails were small dirt roads in the German woods, sometimes barely foot paths. Many times we would come to points in the spider trails that the trees were too close for the tank to pass through. He would always tell us, "You're in a tank and it's a tree, what's the problem?"

You can do a dio in the woods with a tank trying to fit down a trail where it is too narrow to go without taking down a tree.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 03:40 AM UTC
Rob,

an excellent story you shared with us here. After 10 years without FTX I almost forgot how it was.... You brought back some beautiful memories to me....... I remember those little trails as my AFV platoon following was my Landrover.........

I learned one thing...... Your Company Commander was right !!

Excellent story and......I believe this could be an excellent dio too !
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 08:09 AM UTC
Grasshopp12...

Here's one that may be interesting to you... On a few occasions in the field, we've had some M1's running on turret /vehicle master power only for extended periods, which resulted in batteries draining and the 1SG having to slave (jump start) the tanks with his Hummvee...

my $.02
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 09:29 AM UTC
One more idea is the HUMMV belonging to company XO directing traffic for M1 column. The HUMMV parked across paved road, directing tanks down dirt road into assembly area.

Been there but with M151 & M60A1 (giving away my age!!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 11:39 AM UTC
Yes, but the XO lost his secondary ride when M151s were exchanged for M998s. We turned in 3 M151A2s for only 2 HMMWVs. XO's been tank bound ever since.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 10:22 PM UTC
How about something humorous? A Humvee smacking an M1? Or the other way around. :-)
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 01:48 AM UTC
Thank you everyone for the input!!! While I like the idea of the tank chasing the HMMV through the woods, I was hoping to keep with current events as my classmates could probably relate to it as it is on the news frequently. I must say that I like the setup with the two M1s in the middle o the desert there and am probably going to do something along those lines.

Thank you again for your time and input and happy modelling!!!
Jeff
 _GOTOTOP