_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Future
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 08:43 AM UTC
I've never used future to seal my models before and I've also read about it being used to prep the surface where decals are going to go in order to reduce (eliminate) silvering on matt surfaces. Couple of questions, can future be spot-applied? I ask this because I don't have an airbrush. Which leads to the second question, can future be brushed on, does it self-level? Finally, I take it you can then follow up after the decals are applied with dullcote to knock everything back tone-wise? So what's the low-down on using Future?
armorjunior
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 237 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 09:21 AM UTC
1. you should ge ta airbrush it will help alot apllying future
2. im not sure about the dullcote but mixing 70%future and 30% tamiya flat base
( xf-22 i think?) will dull it
Adolph
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:13 AM UTC
.Quote " Which leads to the second question, can future be brushed on, does it self-level? Finally, I take it you can then follow up after the decals are applied with dullcote to knock everything back tone-wise? So what's the low-down on using Future?"

The answer to these questions is yes, Future can be brushed, it does self level, and you can apply dullcoate over top of the Future with no problems.

Not owning an airbrush either, I spot apply Future to the places decals will go and apply the decal while the Future is still wet, then give the decal a wipe with more future as soon as I have it placed correctly, works well for me.
steelskin
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've never used future to seal my models before and I've also read about it being used to prep the surface where decals are going to go in order to reduce (eliminate) silvering on matt surfaces. Couple of questions, can future be spot-applied? I ask this because I don't have an airbrush. Which leads to the second question, can future be brushed on, does it self-level? Finally, I take it you can then follow up after the decals are applied with dullcote to knock everything back tone-wise? So what's the low-down on using Future?

hello, check out this link:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

it'll tell you all about future.
steelskin
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 10:59 AM UTC
i also put a drop or two on afv headlights to represent the glass.
if you model aircraft, you can also use future for sparkling clear canopies. just dip in future and drain them on a piece of tissue paper. some people add paint or even food coloring to future to produce clear colors (like the clear red you use for break lights). here’s another link to give you an idea:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Tinting.html

btw, i got all this info including the links, from this forum.
 _GOTOTOP