_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Next on the Agenda?
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 04:33 PM UTC
I'm always looking for new things to make in terms of architectural structures - usually plaster, but often in resin if the item is small enough. I have over 70 molds of various stone walls, brick walls, store fronts, houses, sidewalks, roadways, etc. What else does this industry need more of? I'm thing about a small stone bridge that might cross a creek (as opposed to a large one, like Verlinden makes). I'm not a "figure" caster, so keep your ideas and wants to the "building" side of it, and I'll see what I can add to the eCatalog! Possibilities:

- round brick smokestack ruin (industrial size/shape)
- train station platform (brick and stone)
- damaged stone street (Verlinden and Custom Dio streets are "non-shelled")
- House interiors - doorways, transoms, stair wells, etc.

Thoughts? I'm bored an need some direction to get the juices flowing!
pancerny
Visit this Community
Poland
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 04:56 PM UTC
As one who grew up in Europe I always remember the many statues and monuments dedicated to history,s hearos (artists poets kings etc) How about models of the elaborate bases those bronze and stone statues were displayed on? Any travel guide would give You plenty of ideas.Also consider fountains. I would welcome both as visual accent or focus of a diorama. Something to get Your ideas going.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 01:48 AM UTC
Keith,
One thing I don't see a lot are bridge parts. Columns, pillars, fancy parts like the ones that cross the Seine (sp?) in Paris. Widths could range from road to rail to foot use. Surfaces could be any number of textures, rock, brick, stone, concrete, etc. You have a potential to build Lots of pieces for sale separately or as a combo.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 06:06 AM UTC
Keith

I agree with Slodder. I`d love to see some of those really old stonebridges that survived from the roman times. You can find them litterraly all over Europe and most of them still exist.
Further I like to suggest some wells or waterpits kinda like that. Also in wells and waterpits you have a wide variety.
Sheds made of nature stones with the Corregated sheet metal. the kind of shed you find a lot in France.
What I also love are the houses that fit in the very narrow streets of most of the very old French and old German cities.

This are some of the ideas that popped up in my mind when I read this post

KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 09:14 AM UTC
Faust... i too like the little shops and homes found all over little European towns... i have a few in my catalog now, but will certainly be doing far more. I have also found a line of styrene windows that fit them perfectly (in fact, I build my window openings now specifically for this line of window, in a wide variety).

I think the stone bridge and the battle damaged street are next up on the agenda. Amazing how may buildings are in heavy ruin, yet the Verlinden and Custom Dioramic roads have not a single brick out of place! Seems like a mortar shell or grueling tank would knock a few stones or bricks loose now and then, eh?

As for the bridges, I agree there needs to be a variety,. and as i always try to build modular "mix and match" pieces, I just need to come up with a few concept pieces that will fit the bill. Perhaps one or two types of bridge sides, that can be varied in width using different types of road section... and hey, there is that opportunity for damaged road again!

i like the modular approach because you can purchase individual pieces at far less expensive prices and create exactly what you want, as opposed to paying $20-$40 for a kit that is "sorta" what you were looking for.

Thanks guys - any more "wishlist" items for plaster or resin?
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 10:01 AM UTC
South American temples like in Raiders of the Lost Arc ? Vietnam houses (like in Full Metal Jacket or Green Papaya) ? Modern Army barracks ? Modern army depots ? Modern army fuel dumps ? modern army tank wash installations ? Modern army guard posts (entrance of military compound), etc... in other words : backdrops to show off modern army equipment.
We could do those as a diorama contest : that would bring you some ideas.
Why not a contest to build the best diorama silicone mold content - best three projects marketed by you and a (small) percentage goes to the artist ? (hint, hint).
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 443 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 07:24 PM UTC
After seeing a book on the eastern front there was aphoto that showed the scorched earth policy used by both sides. It showed a picture of a village that had been torched, all that was left was some burnt wood and the brick chimney stacks virtually undamaged and still standing. How about making a free standing chimney complete with fire place opening.
Robbo
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 08:14 PM UTC
Robbo - free standign chimney and freplace... I like it. Hand-made brick should do, with a little bit of damage..... Coming up!
azizmaz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 08:55 AM UTC
I just put your site in my favorites. Can't wait to see the pictures of your stuff.
 _GOTOTOP