_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter Ti-67
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:37 AM UTC
Any comments on this offering? No reviews here,PMMS, or Hyperscale.Don't believe this is the ESCI mold is it?Also,did the IDF opt to use M51Sherman tracks on this or was that even feasable?
Many TIA!
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 383 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 07:29 PM UTC
I would also be interested in knowing about this kit. I already have a few Merkava and M51 and I think the Ti-67 would be a good complement to the serie.

When you say "junk" is it about the details of the kit that are soft of lack of them or is it some major fitting problems?

Thanks

Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 07:35 PM UTC
Peter Brown did a write up on the Trumpeter T-54 & 55 kits.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 08:03 PM UTC

When you say "junk" is it about the details of the kit that are soft of lack of them or is it some major fitting problems?

Thanks

[/quote]

the Trumpter series of T55 s are more toy-like than accurate models. The details are soft, turret is horrible, tracks worse, etc....

If you are looking to build a Tiran 4/5 (TI67) you need to step up to the tamiya kit and get some AM goodies such as the excellent Blast models set, Legends Production (excellent value), Traxx, or the Verlinden set (iffy at best).

As far as M-51 tracks (Sherman T80 track) It will not fit a T55.

Chris

05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 01:07 AM UTC
Thanks for your responses,guys.Savage,I guess I missed the Peter Brown write up due to it being an 'article' and not a 'review' in my search.None of the build ups I have run across on the net have looked particularly 'toy like'.The ESCI kits even built up well,even though they have accuracy issues as I understand it.The Trump builds looked every bit as good as the Tamiya builds-finished state mind you.Just trying to determine if the kit will be a Treat,Project,Career,or Sentence! :-)
cheers!
Removed by original poster on 10/19/06 - 09:55:49 (GMT).
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 04:43 AM UTC
The Trumpeter kits are original toolings, not Esci clones. Bad news is, they were made to be motorized, and the hull has been modified dimensionally to accommodate the battery pack, gearbox and motor, affecting the sit of the completed model. Early editions were molded in ABS rather than polystyrene, and needed Plastruct cement to assemble, but Trumpeter switched to proper styrene eventually. Tracks are less than great. These kits also turn up in Wasan and Minihobby boxes. Lots of useful detail parts, so cross kitting their various T-54 and T-55 kits with Tamiya's T-55 is a viable alternative, and cheaper than buying equivelent resin conversion parts.
 _GOTOTOP