_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
glueing down grass?
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 06:44 PM UTC
hey all,

just wanted to know what everyones technique of applying grass is,

to be specific, woodland scenics wildgrass.

i know the usual way is to apply it with white glue, and i normaly do this but i have found it to be pretty crapy. i always find that whend push the grass into the glue and down on the the surface that even if you do it lightly the glue still comes up through the grass and glues all the little birstles together.

so was wondering if anyone has any better methods.

thnx

Matt
jantkowiak
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 08:59 PM UTC
I applied Woodland Scenics Field Grass to a 54mm diorama once - a grass field covering almost half of an 18" square base. It was intended to be tall grass. The technique was first to lay a base of Woodland Scenics fine turf to the groundwork and let it dry. I cut the grass to length (about an inch) and separated it into clumps about 3/8 inch, simulateously mixing in a few different colors. Then I used an eye dropper to apply the scenic cement (which I guess is just watered-down white glue) to an area just big enough to cover one clump's worth of ground. Then I dropped the clump cut-end first into the glue. As I recall, there was some wicking of the glue into the blades, but not too much. I think the trick is not to have too much glue. I would have as many clumps as possible ready to go at once so that I could just apply one after the other. After doing maybe 1-2 sq. inches, I would add another drop or two around the adjacent ground and it would soak under the grass I had just laid.

After this was done and completely dry, I bought a $9 moustache trimmer at the drugstore and then basically weed-whacked the lawn until it was the height I really wanted. In addition to the fresh-cut residue, that tended to pull up those strands in the middle of the clumps that had never touched any glue. I cleaned up all of this by touching each blade with a paint brush soaked in water.

That worked best for undisturbed grass. As you can see below, it wasn't so effective for trampled grass, as it tends to stay straight. The other thing I wish I'd known at the start was a) how much I was going to need (at least a dozen packets for my terrain base) and b) how varied the colors can be between two packs of "Medium Green" grass. Looking at this diorama from the top, you can really see bands of color in the grass that weren't supposed to be there.

And yes - this was a labor-intensive, sanity-straining process. But I really liked the overall effect.

John A.

Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 03:12 AM UTC
If you want the grass in a specific area, put the glue there. But put a whole wad of the grass held together with a rubber band. After the glue dries, the grass where there was no glue will fall down to be re-used.

Sealhead
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 03:24 AM UTC
If you are not going for tall grass, I paint my area a nice dirt color, then sprinkle some presifted fine real dirt onto it. I use the Woodland scenics liquid white glue through a spray pump (old windex bottle) then I letdry for a day...shake offloose dirt. Then I apply the woodland scenics superfine turf and spray it lets it set...etc etc. For taller, i use the cut into clump method and use the Thicker Elmers glue to hold it in place. I heard they have something out called static grass which gives a nice 3d medium height type grass, but I've not been able to track it down at the LHS's in my area and as I don't have a big need, I haven't mail-ordered it
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 02:12 PM UTC
hey, thnx guys, you all helped alot.

thnx again

Matt
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:53 AM UTC
adding some detergent to the whiteglue mix, makes it flow better, it goes into the ground work, it doesn't sit ontop
I used finely blended (dried off course!) mosses to act as groundfiller, works out nice.
For tall grasses I use home dyied hempfibers, found at the plumbing supplies, just paint them a green yellow brown colour with cheap childrens waterpaints, let 'm dry hanging down , comb, and cut to length, et voila tall grass!
Hopes this makes you experiment some

Greetz Tha Pit
DogEgg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 341 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:14 PM UTC
Heki and Noch make some great long (meadow grass) mats. There are reviews on this site which compare each type - and I've recently used the Noch to good effect. You can also use the above method of glueing longer grass into it after it's down, giving the illusion of taller clumps in the meadow... Watch out for wip pictures this weekend, either in this forum or Russian/soviet.

_GOTOTOP