_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Anti-tank regiments, Armoured Divisions.
KEVINT
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC
Would Guards, 7th and 11th Armoured Divisions all have been equipped with 6 pdr anti-tank guns?

Cheers
Kevin
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 02:24 AM UTC
Hi Kevin,

To the best of my knowledge no. But they probably would have had an anti tank regiment attached to them, if not then the infantry battalions would have been equipted with them, so either way Yes indirectly. LOL, LOL.

Infantry Battalions had 6 x 6pdrs as a normal part of their TOE as best I can remember. Derek could probably tell you which AT regiments were equipted with what.

75th AT Regt were part of 11 Armd

65th AT Regt were part of 7 Armd

Don't know if they had AT Guns or Achilles, need to check. Both regiments had the tac sign 77 red over blue/

11 Armd had the following inf Bns

4th Bn King's Shropshire Light inf (green 61)
3rd Bn Monmouthshire Regiment (green 62)
1st Bn Herefordshire Regiemtn (green 63)

7 Armd had:

1/5 Bn Queen's Royal Regt (green 61)
1/6 Bn Queen's Royal Regt (green62)
1/7 Bn Queen's Royal Regt )green 63)

at least that's what it says in British Tanks in Normandy LOL, LOL.

Cheers

Al
KEVINT
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hello Alan / Derek,

Thanks for the info. I am talking about NWE.
I am at the stage of marking the AA Loyd carrier and I don't want to get things wrong at this late stage.
Any further info would be most useful.

Alan,
If they were attached via an infantry unit would the AoS not have been 46 on red over blue?

Cheers
Kevin
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Alan / Derek,

Thanks for the info. I am talking about NWE.
I am at the stage of marking the AA Loyd carrier and I don't want to get things wrong at this late stage.
Any further info would be most useful.

Alan,
If they were attached via an infantry unit would the AoS not have been 46 on red over blue?

Cheers
Kevin

Keving the Infantry 6 pdrs were manned by infantry so the AOS would be the parent units. The 17 pdr equipped the AT regts at this stage of the war in either Towed or SP guise serving alongside the standard m10 3".
Cheers
Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi Kevin,

As Al says the inf 6pdr would have had their parent unit AOS. They would have formed part of the Bn Support Company, ie: AT, Mtrs, Heavy MGs etc.

So they woudl have carried their parent unit AOS and the appropriate Divisional Sign.

I've got green 61 and 63 Archers Tac Signs if you need any and plenty of Finger Print Design 7th and 11th Armd Div signs. Let me know if you need anything.

Cheers

Al

KEVINT
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As Al says the inf 6pdr would have had their parent unit AOS. They would have formed part of the Bn Support Company, ie: AT, Mtrs, Heavy MGs etc.

I think I am getting a little confused here. I thought that the artillery were always red over blue. In infantry Divisions the anti-tank were 46 and in Armoured Divisions 77, in NWE.
I didn't realise that they could have been green.

Alan,
The AA general decal set 6, 46 and 77 on red over blue along with blank RA, HQ, REME, Recce, senior red and second green AoS plates. Along with these are 4 each of numbers 1 - 0. So most are covered.

Cheers
Kevin
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 05:57 PM UTC
Hi Kevin,

Correct , all RA units were red over blue, but the only units that would have still have had the 6pdr in NWE 1944 would have been infantry units. RA units had been equipted with 17pdrs by this stage whether towed or mounted on the tank destroyers.

Each Infantry Battalion had 6 x 6pdrs as part of their support arms (Support Company) so any vehicles associated with them woudl have carried the unit AOS (green) and Div SIgn as they were manned by the Infantry and not the Royal Artillery personnel.

You getting confused because each division did have RA support units, (Regiments if you like) both AT, AA and RA. They carried the red over blue sign with 77 for the Anti Tank Regiments, but as Derek says they had the towed and mounted 17pdr by this stage of the war.

From WW2 onwards Infantry Battalions have always had a Platoon of Anti Tank Weapons as part of their Support Company.

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

Have fun

Al
 _GOTOTOP