_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British Sherman 105mm Mk IB Questions
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 02:29 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Lots of great new for the Allied Modellers :-) :-) :-)

Some questions on the Sherman 105mm Mk IB.

I have the old Tamiya kit I originally built as an American vehicle and I have the major parts of the Italeri M4 (Marines) that I robbed the deep wading trunks from.

At some point I'd like to do a Polish or Canadian 105mm and wondered what parts if any I might be able to salvage from these two kits?

If I read the latest Post from Formations correctly I could use the lower hull and suspension system from the Italeri kit and go with their conversion kits?

Would that be best, or are there any usable parts from the Tamiya kit that I could match with the Italeri kit. I have the various bits of left over hull and stuff from the VCs and Tamiya builds.

Alternatvely what would need to be changed on the new Dragon or Academy kit to make it a Mk IB. Both have the later type of suspension but I have plenty of wheels and suspension units. I don't know if any of the commonwealth units were ever issued with the later version of the 105mm but I some how doubt it that would be much too easy :-) :-) :-)

Not a tomorrow project but with the issue of the new kits I thought I better start and gather some information now.

Now we have a plastic dozer blade I wonder if we might see a Sherman Dozer some time in the future from Academy :-) :-) :-) - go on - make my day :-) :-) :-)

Thanks folks

Al
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 04:42 AM UTC
The easiest is to use Robs excellent Conversion set. The Tamiya turret would need work and the running gear is well past it. I'd use a set of DML late running gear on the Formations release. Use the lower from the new M4A1 76.
Hopefully DML will slot in a 105 M4 at some stage down the track. I'm sure the 105 M4 A3 HVSS is not the last. A 2-1 M4/M4A3 VVSS 105 would be great - are you listen DML or Academy?
I hope Academy does the Dozer blade as a seperate kit like they did with the M9 Dozer.
Cheers
Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 05:12 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Thanks for that, maybe patience is the answer here LOL, LOL. An early version would be great as would an early Dozer LOL, LOL. I'm sure the Academy blade will be in demand!!!

Cheers

Al

_GOTOTOP