_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British M5 Half Track Questions
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 02:36 PM UTC
Greetings all,

From none to many, just like buses they all come at once :-) :-) :-) :-)

What great news.

All the versions are understandably US. Of the kits that are coming out does anyone know anything about the versions used by the British/Commonwealth. I think the they had the M5 and another M9??

Anyway I'm looking for information that might allow me to convert one into a British Vehicle. Are any of the forthcoming kits suitable and can anyone tell me the differences in the vehicles used by the British.

Again not a tomorrow project but something for next year. Maybe the AM folks will solve the problem for me.

Isn't life grand, I can't remember a better year for Allied modellers.

Cheers

Al
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 03:50 PM UTC
I'm afraid that converting a M2A1 into a International Harvester M9A1 for instance would need more work than just changing the front fenders, adding a rear access door and rounding the troop compartment rear corners...

You can find some basic info here :
M9A1
M5

Even the engine was different, as well as the transmission. In the International Harvester models the engine was of the overhead valve design while the standardized M2 and M3 models utilized the 'flathead' engine (but you can just keep the hood closed ). The front and rear differential were both of the Banjo type and manufactured by International Harvester.

HTH
Frenchy
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2006 - 05:33 PM UTC
Hi Frenchy,

Thanks for that. Maybe next year LOL, LOL. - better finish some of the projects I'm working on first and await developments.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP