_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WIP M1078 Special Forces
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:45 PM UTC
Dear All
Please look at me new project, it is a M1078 Special force vehicles
This vehicle has been allready discussed in this following thread

Special Force war Pigs

I used the HSV vacu kit as a starting kit, well well what to say about it
Summary

HSV, an Austria vacuform company offers the world an interesting vacuform 1:35 scale model of the German Steyr 12M18 truck, which can be easily converted into the American LMVT M1078.

Introduction

Back in the 1980s, when the U.S. Army was working on a specification for a new truck to replace the aging M35, Austrian truck maker Steyr began working on a new platform based on its 12M18, a truck originally developed for the Austrian Bundesheer. The 12M18 is also used by military forces in Canada, Kuwait, Pakistan and Thailand. When the Army released its specifications for a family of medium tactical vehicles (FMTV) in 1988, Steyr linked up with Houston-based Stewart & Stevenson and sent several prototype vehicles to the U.S. over the next two years. In October 1991, Steyr and Stewart & Stevenson won the bid. The first truck rolled off the Sealy assembly line in June 1993. In 1996, the Army's XVIII Airborne Corps became the first unit to be equipped with the FMTV.

Contents

The kit comes in a sturdy box with an approximately A4 format, a picture on top showing the company name, kit number, and one picture of the finished kit in black in white.

Opening the box you will see two-styrene sheets format A4 contains all 55 parts of the kit, a styrene rod for the wheels axes, an acetate sheet for the windows and finally a rectangular piece of styrene for the cargo bed. The instructions in German are also included printed black and white on A4 sheets (eight pages).

Instruction

The instructions sheet consists of eight pages with two pages of the blue print from the vehicle at the end. This is not in all cases clear and the quality of the prints is relatively ok. The instruction does not really give good reference on the way to glue to part together; only overall distances are given to help the building.
Well let be honest, these instructions need deep reading and understanding before starting to build the model. I found that the instructions are slightly over scaled compare to the part dimension, you need to photocopy them with a reduction factor of 98%, not really a big deal.

The instructions are relatively simple look like blue print from the manufacturer. The assembly begins with the construction of the cabin, following by the frame, the construction of the cargo bed and finally the canvas.

Parts

Because of the nature of the kit, the parts are cast in such a way that it is hell of a job to remove from the styrene sheets, a lot of cleaning and sanding. Surprisingly, the casting is very well done and shows all the detailing that went into the master. In short, the detail is great for a vacukit. It is true that some parts required special attention.

One big disadvantage of the vacukit, it is the fact that the pieces are printed on one side only. You cannot for example open the door; the reverse side of the part is almost flat.
Other remark is the lack of details from the inside of the vehicle; the cabin does not meet the details of a normal injected kit as well as the cargo bed. It is compulsory to represent the vehicle with the canvas closed.
The kit does not come with the canvas either, this need to be totally scracthbuilt.

Conclusion

Well, this kit because of its intrinsic nature of vacuform kit, does not really match the actual standard of an injected kit. But we cannot compare apples with pears.
This kit seems to be a real good starting point for those who want to create a really accurate M1078, some changes need to be done i.e. the exhaust, the boxes under the cargo bed as well as the front and rear bumpers.

HSV propose in order to improve the accuracy of the kit, a set of resins wheels and a stirring wheel.

So i did some intensive study with TM

here is the cabin with the M1078 style, new light, new front

The inside cabin, I did use some resin seat and PE for safety belt, scracht the TacSat antenna, the rear seat has been removed and extra storage rack has been added to put the radio.

The frame has totally reworked with PS

The air intake has been totally created with PS tubing

The rack for the extra wheel has been also created using the TM as a template.

I hope you like it, comments critics are really really welcome

I will post new pictures soon.

Seb

DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 07:04 AM UTC
Seb--thanks for a very informative in-progress review of this kit. I've been thinking of buying this kit and the one HSV makes of the Mercedes G-wagen. I'm looking forward to further posts on your build. The M1078 is quite a unique and very cool vehicle.

By the way, I noticed that the Scaleshop store does not seem to be carrying HSV 1/35 kits anymore. Do you know where else to find them?

seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 01:38 PM UTC
Dear Lucas
It seems that Scaleshop did not send 1/35 items anymore

Seb
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 08:18 PM UTC
More progress pictures

I did some work on the suspension, front suspension has been totally stracth because the one from the kit does not meet the lenght of a M1078

See below

The rear one is from the kit, i had piston suspension and tension bar

The air filter has been reworked on the conical part, i used tamiya putty and some extra sanding.

Here is the frame, missing the transmission bar.

Here is some picture of the rear of the vehicle, from the pictures avaible on the web it is more or less the same, the racks will be filled with jerrycans. I did used XM134 for the main weapon, people may argue that .50 of grenade launcher are the main weapon, well the minigun look cool for me :-)

I install 3 seats for the passenger on the rear also

The cabin has been detailled, the stirring wheel is added and the Tacsat antenna has been moved.

A platform is added on the front of the vehicle in order to store extra jerrycans.

I hope you like it, comments and critics are very very welcome

Seb

Tomek_K
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Dolnoslaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 08:36 PM UTC
You've building very cool vehicle Seb and your progress looks very good for me.
Good luck.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 09:54 PM UTC
Thanks for your kind word Tomek
Cheers
Seb
Euro_Pro_USA
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 01:41 AM UTC
WOW GOOD WORK !!

keep us up to date !
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
Really good work, Seb. Can't wait to see the finished vehicle.

It's too bad about Scaleshop. Now I may never get a chance to build an M1078 or a Mercedes G500.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 03:04 PM UTC
Dear All
As promised please find some new pictures of the project.

I added the transmission bars and the universal joint.
I also scracth the air system, the boxes on the left hand size with the 3 differents tanks. The exhaust pipe has been added.

Comments and critics are very welcome

Cheers
Seb

troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 09:34 PM UTC
Wow, this is really looking great! Wherever did you get the photo etc for the ends of the driveshafts and universal joints???? Man, you gotta have one heck of a spares box! LOL
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:13 PM UTC
Now that is some nice detailed work! I can't wait to see this finished. You're doing an excellent job!
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 07:24 PM UTC
Dear Peter and Gary
Thanks for your kind comments
really appreciate

I will update some news photos soon from the rear part of the vehicle.

Seb
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Armorama: 1,763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 10:08 PM UTC
Great job so far Seb. Keep it up.
arleighburke
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 02:31 PM UTC
Great work Seb - can't wait to see the finished article. For those of us who despaired that the HSV Steyr base kit (a good basis for any 1/35 FMTV build) was no longer available, good news - it's back and available again.

Follow this link - look at the HSV 1/35 section.

https://ssl3.world4you.com/scaleshop/
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 02:42 PM UTC
Thanks for the nice word
I did prime the truck, so it is finish.
I will start the paint job next week.
Cheers
Seb
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 08:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work Seb - can't wait to see the finished article. For those of us who despaired that the HSV Steyr base kit (a good basis for any 1/35 FMTV build) was no longer available, good news - it's back and available again.

Follow this link - look at the HSV 1/35 section.

https://ssl3.world4you.com/scaleshop/

I ordered mine when the 1/35 kits came back on sale a couple of months ago, but now they seem to be back down (as of a couple of minutes ago). I'm glad I got my order in.

Seb--I'm really looking forward to pictures of your nearly-complete build! The mother ships are very cool-looking, and you seem to have captured their look quite well.

seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 01:12 PM UTC
Thanks Lucas
I hope to post new pictures this week
cheers
Seb
 _GOTOTOP