_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help with vinyl tracks! Zvezda
Percheron
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:32 PM UTC
Hi all,

I'm just about finished with a Zvezda T-34/85 and have hit a road block. Getting the tracks on is proving to be a huge hassle. When I almost got them on parts start breaking off. Very frustrating. I have assembled this thing as directed, which doesn't mean much as the directions suck.

Thanks,

-Derek
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Armorama: 713 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

I'm just about finished with a Zvezda T-34/85 and have hit a road block. Getting the tracks on is proving to be a huge hassle. When I almost got them on parts start breaking off. Very frustrating. I have assembled this thing as directed, which doesn't mean much as the directions suck.

Thanks,

-Derek

Hi Derek,
Trust me, mate, I can understand and relate to the sorry instructions, and if you can't read Cyrillic, you're really in trouble! . . .I'm limping through a Zvezda BTR-80 right now myself.

Well, without seeing what you got up close and personal, if you're trying to mate the two ends of the vinyl tracks, and road wheels, sprockets, and idlers are snapping off, I would have to say either the tracks are too short (which really wouldn't surprise me), or you have some of these parts installed at the wrong clearance(s), making the tracks too short, know what I mean? Without actually seeing the kit and the (nasty) instructions, I really can't offer any further advice, Bro. . .
~Gunny
Percheron
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:56 PM UTC
That is what I was afraid of. I did get them on, but it meant that the front sprocket wheel were too close to the first set of bogies. I have really enjoyed this kit, as it all went together good (better than my Hase Stuka) and the decals are great and settled down perfectly over the rough cast turret. If I can just get these things to stretch a bit..... If I was smart I'd post some photos, but he is not ready to be unveiled yet

-Derek
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 03:18 AM UTC
Maquette offers a really nice (and really cheap) set of replacement styrene tracks, if you can find 'em (around $7 USD). Indie link track is not necessary on all kits, but the big, plate-type T-34 tracks never look right in vinyl, since the links bend visibly around the idler wheel. And since the Zvezda tracks are tight anyway, they won't sag accurately either. There are also workable tracks available from Friul and Model Kasten, but they cost more than the base kit.
Percheron
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 03:50 AM UTC
Thank you all for the info!

I have placed an order for the Maquette tracks through Great Models. They are a discontinued item so they will have to do some searching around for them. I kinda hate to spend more on this kit but the thing is coming together so nice I don't want to tracks to ruin a decent looking model. Plus I know if I keep messing with the vinyl I WILL break the tank apart.
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 04:04 PM UTC
hey,
Maquette tracks are the way to go on this one ,we've used them on Tamiya's T-34's ,and SU-85 . Maquette made them in early or late war versions ,and with you building the T-34/85 ,you'll want the late war type.The tracks can also be used on SU-85's & SU-100's.

Joe
goose
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 05:31 PM UTC
I never have much luck with vinyl tracks - I really dont like them.

I found on one kit where they wouldnt fit (though it was my fault on this occasion) soaking the track in hot water made it slightly more flexible and I managed to get the track to fit.

I use model kasten and fruil tracks now (there is another make who's name escapes me), the only thing with them is the cost.

Good luck! and get some pics up! :-)
 _GOTOTOP