_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bullet impacts
datums-5
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 12:59 AM UTC
I am making a diorama of a winter battle scene and would like to simulate machine gun bullets impacting the ground. So far I have
tried using epoxy glue on wires, painted and stuck in the ground. It didn't look very convincing. Next I tried digging a divet out of the
test piece and painting. I achieved the same results-not very convincing. Third attempt was to dip a fine wire into epoxy glue and roll it in
coffee grounds and paint. Better results but not good. I'm out of ideas and would appreciate any and advice about how to create realistic looking bullet impacts.

Thanks
Michael
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 01:23 AM UTC
When I try to make bullets in a wall I use corroding substance on toothpicks and put the toothpick in the wall. This is a very dangerous way, be carful when you use it... Accidents can happen
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 01:35 AM UTC
You mention winter - I'm guessing there'd be snow. If so, here's a thought. Take a small piece of clear sprue. Hollow it out untill it's VERY thin. This will represent the entry channel of the bullet into the snow. You can shape the 'top' end into an angle. Embed the bottom end into the snow leaving 1/2 to 1/3 or so sticking up and out in the angle of the bullet path. I would then apply white glue/water over the top and sprinkle snow on top. This is supposed to represent snow flying up from the impact.
I guess you could do it with the coffee too if there is no snow.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 01:48 AM UTC
Along the lines of Scott's suggestion, you can find very, very thin Pipettes at science supply stores, that could stand in for the sprue...I hate hollowing that stuff out.

Mike

Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 01:07 PM UTC
Just try cotton swabs or cotton balls.Take a little peice of it and shape it like a burst that hit the ground.Because it is winter you prolly dont need to paint it.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 09:14 AM UTC
"Gimme a bullet to bite on..."

My suggestion is that you use a hot glue gun.
Attach the glue to the underside of beam or similar so that it forms in the shape of a stalagkit. When dry, cut and sand to shape and glue it on the base.
Next step is to paint or sprinkle it with micro ballons for snow to your liking.
 _GOTOTOP