_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
One small error(?) with the new T-55 kit
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 04:13 AM UTC
Guys, if you are building the new Tamiya T-55, there is one part you may want to pay close attention to.

It's part numeber C-11 and its attached to the turret roof near the end of construction.

According to the instructions and even the photos on the kit box, this piece is applied directly over the weld seem on the turret roof. Well, looking at reference photos and asking on another website, I found that this is incorrect.

This part may appear on some T-55's but not on others. It is some type of bracket used to hold a periscope. Also, the position is incorrect.

Here is a link with a photo showing the correct placement and also a question asked by someone else;

http://www.activevr.com/afv/cgi_bin/web-bbs/webbbs_config.pl?read=35927

I also think the part is a bit oversized when placed on the kit turret.

Luckily, I removed mine easily (glad I don't use too much cement) and I think the turret looks much better.

I know this may seem picky, on such a great kit its a small error. I think the turret also looks cleaner without it.

Hopefully, I can get a base coat over the primer on my model this weekend.

Steve
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 05:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the tip Steve. I didn't put mine on yet - thankully. I was hoping to at least get a primer coat on my T-55 too this weekend. I'm going to our local IPMS Chapter Annual Contest on Sunday - so that only leaves me a couple of hours Saturday to mess around with my T-55...

Gunnie
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the tip Steve. I didn't put mine on yet - thankully. I was hoping to at least get a primer coat on my T-55 too this weekend. I'm going to our local IPMS Chapter Annual Contest on Sunday - so that only leaves me a couple of hours Saturday to mess around with my T-55...

Gunnie

Yeah, can't wait to dry brush some of the texture on that turret. Think it will be very nice.

In a moment of weakness I think I am going to include the auxiliary tanks on the back. After putting them together and priming, after one quick pass of the sanding stick and another light prime, the seams on them completely vanished.

Haven't glued them on the brackets yet, but was tinking of leaving one off. All I would have to do is remove the small tab on the mounting bracket that holds the tank in place and a quick sanding and it would be fine. But its looks so much better with them on!

Steve
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 08:03 AM UTC
Agreed - I'm putting both Fuel Drums on because that's half of what I like about the tank. The other is that Turret shape. Really looks interesting...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP